Go get a dog from the humane society, and please welcome my new boy Brutus;)

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by cosmo, Nov 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I work for a wonderful women who had always wanted a place for people to kennel their dogs and place for dog and cats that society no longer wants. She has realized that dream and keeps expanding. We do everything from Rattle snake avoidance with live rattlers to vaccinations to daycare to training. Best job in the world seriously.

It's for those people that "Dogs I like, it's humans that annoy me" can relate to.

No to puppy mills, yes to spay and neutering.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

awesome guys and gals. this boy was set to be put down tomorrow and he's the sweetest thing ever. Good for Mrs' wolfe, grab a good boy or girl.

And yeah sacul, I don't understand why anyone would drop $500-2000 for a dog when you can get one for free or a cheap adoption fee and a short drive will save a dogs life.

RANT 3 over

karma to all that save critters;)

4. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

No kidding. My brother in law spend $1300 for a purebred lab, and now it sits in a kennel in the backyard for 23.5 hours of the day.... A true pity...

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

AWESOME, lol, as I get older I enjoy my critters more and more and people less and less, lol. I kinda hope to someday be able to grab a few acres and do the same thing, but that prob won't be a reality till my boy flies the coup in 10 years or so. until then I'll volunteer, take what I can, train what I can, etc.

I've had great luck training problem dogs with the laying on top of them staring them down till they break eye contact, like wolves do in the wild. Have you tried that, if so, do you know a better way?? Its a rather non violent way too assert dominance, but it can get tricky with the bigger guys.

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

My buddy has a boxer named Brutus too. lol and go figure, hes a buckeye fan. lol thats funny. great story and congrats to the new addition in the family. he looks happy!

1 person likes this.
  7. Corailline

We use reward, prong collars for working dogs, for fence jumpers we do shock because if the dog is a runner a mild shock is much better than the alternative of the roads, coyote, javalina and the desert.

We tech obedience, canine good citizen, therapy dogs, agility. We tech dogs how to use tread mills as well to work off extra energy.

Long leads for come, treats for sit, down and stay and off (couch/beds), knee for off me. Martin Dale or prong for heal and walk. Scruff of the neck for bad behaviors that are unacceptable, it's a dominance thing.

We are starting a class for sniffer dog next. You can bring your dog and we will teach it how to sniff out your car keys, your kid, your illness.......

Dogs are amazing animals, their memories are incredible and their senses unbelievable.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

LOL thank, Brutus is the Buckeye mascot so it kinda goes with the territory, lol, but thank you! O-H-

Wow, you're heads and tails above me! And I thought I was ok at training dogs, but I'm more of a make them good for a home trainer. The car key and kid thing is awesome. Although I think the kid thing comes ingrained in a good dog, When I was a kid, my collie, literally saved my life 3 times, twice when I got knocked out in a dirt bike accident in strip mines where she lead my parents to me and once when I was getting attacked by a pack of coydogs when I was young.

I appreciate the invite and would love to take you up on it, but thats gonna be an expensive class by the time I pay for plane tix there and back;) I'll pay for a video though if you do that.

BTW, poor guy has diarrhea which is kinda par for the course since he just got wormed yesterday, but just had an accident! My fault, he tried to tell me to go outside and I didn't listen!

10. Corailline

Some pit mixes do not like eye contact, Dutch being one of them, he has some psychological disorders therefore he does not respond appropriately to stimuli . The boarder dogs would tear you to pieces before blinking lol.

Dogs are pack animals so yes, it's all about who boss. A dog like a horse can sense fear or weakness a mile off. We once had a tech that had liver disease, she had to stop working with the dogs because they could sense her sickness and she was getting bitten too often. When you are at the lower rung of the pack you get picked on, nature of the beast.

We also just attended Pitbalooza, we are advocates for the breed but not the humans that raise and breed them poorly.

Obviously I spend way too much time with dogs and cats.

11. Corailline

Pepto Bismol, rice and chicken if the diarrhea continues.

Good luck Ryan.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol, I love pits, one of the most misunderstood breeds, they are GREAT family dogs if raised right, but too often they are not. I trained 6 wolves while in college, which is where I learned the whole lying on top of them and staring them down till they broke the stare, then you were boss, I've always had good luck with that, but only use it as a last resort. But I am 6'6" and have the length to keep my face and throat away while doing it. I almost came home with a pit today, but this boxer just kinda won out, I may go get the pit if it goes on the urgent list, but Brutus was gonna be put down tomorrow and thus had to come home, and thank goodness, this dog rocks, outside of the current diarrhea situation, but we will fix that soon with some better food and more worming;)