Go get a dog from the humane society, and please welcome my new boy Brutus;)

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by cosmo, Nov 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I agree with you 100%
    It's the idiot "thugs and gangsters" that give the breed a bad name/reputation

They are VERY loyal to there owners and would give there life to protect you any day of the week, they are however VERY STUBBORN/hard headed when you are initially trying to train them, it's definitely NOT because they are stupid and only think about fighting...they are an extremely smart dog that will learn any trick you can think of as long as you take the time and have the patience to train them

Me and my wife will never own anything other than a pitbull for as long as we are alive, far and away the best of the best in terms of family dogs

Actually from what I have read in a few places more people are attacked every year by there family golden retriever than the "mean and vicious" pit bull's...The difference is the stupid news media that makes a huge story any time a pit bull bite's someone yet when any other breed attacks someone they figure "oh it was a fluke, this isn't a news story we can spin into fear"

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

So we're trying to get our dog used to the new kitten. Are there any ways to do this? We have a glass door in our house and we separate the two, but they always both walk up to the glass and the dog growls and the cat hisses. Is there any way to prevent this? My dad was thinking a muzzle for the dog?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If the dog is growling at the kitten you need to scruff the dog to show him this behavior is unacceptable, I suggest the person the dog considers to be the alpha in the family do this.

If this dog has a hx of biting for any reason you should not try and introduce it to the kitten at all. You can keep them separate but I would not trust the dog. An adult cat can usually defend it's self a kitten can not.

Allow the dog to smell the bedding of the kitten by placing the bedding in the dogs area.

5. Camkha1234

Thanks for the quick response! I'll keep them separate for now :)

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Great idea Cheryl, but yeah, if you are the dominant one over the dog, I'd first keep them seperate for a few days, but where they can see/smell eachother, then take the cat in your arms near the dog and show the dog he's a member of the family. You should be able to introduce them in a week or so, just like a reef, take it slow;) and make sure the dog sees the cat as a friend of yours;)

7. Camkha1234

My dog barely even barks on any other occasion, but when he sees the cat, he lunges at the glass door. I'll try what Cheryl said and let him smell the cat bed first :) Thanks for the help!

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

when you introduce the 2 just make sure the dogs on a leash and teach him that any aggression towards the cat is unacceptable! Don't fret too much, and good luck;)

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Had to share this. My talking pupper:)

1 person likes this.
  11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol, cute pup, and dang she likes that bone;)

This girl just came into the humane society, but I've had about $400 in vet bills the last few weeks so not sure, but may have to go get her if she goes on the urgent list:(
    [​IMG]

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Is that a Nylabone Chris? Happy looking puppies.

Roadie came home from Mexico this week. I will take some images of him. He is walking now.

He is already adopted to a place called Equine Voices a horse rescue facility. He will live on a farm with 3 other dogs that look like they could be his brothers.

He still amazes me, left broken and starving on the side of the road for days if not weeks and he still only wants to love people and be with them.

1 person likes this.