gluing coral underwater?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by drewspuppet, Feb 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. drewspuppet

drewspuppet Flamingo Tongue

Is there anything you can use to attach coral to a rock without having to take the rock out of the water?

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Gel superglue.. Everything in my tank is superglued down.. Wit gel type.. I use the loc tite kind with blue sides and grey bottle.. Kinda expensive but works well..

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I use the exact same kind and can't get it to hold under water. I will turn off my main powerheads for 30 min while I do it and still no luck. Any secrets??
    I usually glue mine on a small peice of rock out of water for 15 min. and that does the trick but doesn't help with getting a permanant grip under water.

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I guess one thing goes right for me... I put the glue on the frag outside waite about a minute and set it in place.. LUCK.. i guess. LOL... Every frag in my tank is glued down with that stuff... I should buy STOCK in it..

7. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Maybe the secret is in letting the glue set up for a minute outside of the tank?? I will have to try that and see. I also have thought about buying stock, I currently have 4 tubes just to have around!! Every time I go to Lowe's I pick up a tube or 2 to have around;D

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I use gel super glue too.

From my experience, I can't glue while underwater. I have one frag I had to glue while leaving the frag underwater... so I just turned it upside down and held the base of the frag only above the water... this worked for me.

Other than this, the 'trick' I learned is two tricks :)

First I have to let the glue set for at least 20 seconds in the air...

then the second trick is something it took me a while to figure out after several failed attempts. I was putting the glued piece in place but I would sort of 'bounce' it - I have found that I have to hold the piece in place in the first place it makes contact... if it touches the rock and I move it slightly, it breaks the bond (I'm talking instantly moving it even).

So now I practice putting the piece in place without glue first. Once in place, I hold it without any movement for at least 30 seconds... this has done the trick for me.

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I am friends with a Loctite rep, he says always keep superglue refrigerated for best results. I have never glued my corals but do keep my superglue in the fridge. Just something to think about.