Glued Down Plate Coral doing Great!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by HollyG, Dec 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Yeah me too.

2. Click Here!

3. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Honestly, the majority of what was said on this thread was not out of line. Being nice and polite and always friendly is fine however there are times when someone needs to get a reality check. This person was told, politely, over and over and over and over that applying glue to the live flesh of a mobile coral to hold it place was not an appropriate thing to do. They were given many different suggestions on how to handle the situation with the best interest of the animals in mind. They simply refused it because it did not fit their ideal idea of a tank and went ahead and did it. Then, they decided to come back and tell everyone that warned against it that they all obviously had misplaced concern because the coral was fine after a week. This is exactly the kind of thing that happens when people put their own feelings before the welfare of the animals we keep. Personally, I don't think having a forum where it is all rainbows and unicorns at the expense of proper husbandry is a good thing at all.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Did you miss this?

I think that maybe people didn't take the time to realize what was actually going on. In her other thread she had stated that her friend that gave her this coral had great success with doing just what she did. If what Reef-a-holic said is the case, then she did the correct thing without knowing it.

I never said that anything was out of line, just that I was surprised to see people commenting like they were. Usually people feel they need to give people a reality check on here, they just stop posting on that person's threads. I have started to ignore some members because they ask the same questions over and over again after that question has been answered multiple times.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'm pretty surprised to find this thread as well. I frequent a few forums, and this is the one I usually expect to relax on. Anyway, I guess this has to happen from time to time.

I would like to comment on all the talk about you're this isn't natural for the coral. Before anyone gets on that soap box, I think they should really remember that there is nothing natural about what we do to corals, and thus arguing over survivability with natural conditions as evidence is pretty useless. In all reality anyone who claims to only have these animals best interest in mind should tear down their tank and leave them in the ocean.

Michael Rice
    Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
    Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

6. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I definitely think this thread is disapointing. Too many other forums are too invested in a lack of proportionality and it leads to this sort of thing. I have been so pleased, until now, to not see it here.

We all agree we have a responsability to the living organisms we protect. That said, they are not people and for the most part, they're not particularly high up on the sohpistication scale. Most all of us eat fish, most of us have no qualms about poisoning a pest polyp or poisoning entire populations of worms, and even the most vegan of us use antibacterial products and have immune systems that kill living organisms.

If we can't tell the difference between poor choices in our treatment of people and poor choices in our treatment of a polyp, we're displaying a terrible lack of proportion.

7. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

While there is some truth to this, at what point do you throw it all out and say "Hey- anything goes!". Your idea of an all or nothing approach is disappointing. I think the majority of the people who keep reef tanks do so due to an appreciation and respect of the biotope that it encompasses and honestly want to recreate as natural of an environment as possible. Along with the hobby comes a responsibility to do the best we can to care for the animals correctly. Simply ignoring potentially damaging care of the animals just to be polite is not something I think is beneficial to anyone involved. So, yes, I do have a different perspective when it comes to my view of what is important and think my sense of proportion is just fine. I do think it is more important to educate on proper care than it is to make them feel warm and fuzzy. I am here to learn and help learn and 99% of it is done in a respectful way.

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I think it would be best, in my personal opinion, if we aimed for 100%. No one is proposing we should not do the best we can for our reefs, but the truth is much of what we know about this hobby has come at the expense of many, many creatures coming to an untimely demise. We can and should do our best; what is happening here is an attempt to turn a discussion about what may well have been an ill advised action (and an excess of premature triumphalism on the part of the OP) into a morality debate. If risking the lives of corals by our choices were immoral, we are all guilty. Trying a bit harder than the next guy is not much of a defense... we all risk a heater frying and thousands of polyps getting killed.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sometimes the delivery and intent of a message come across as opposing, this is common on the internet.

I believe that has happened here, by a few members, me included and I regret that.

Lets not argue about arguing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.