Glued Down Plate Coral doing Great!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by HollyG, Dec 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I assume she will post a thread asking what the safest way to do it is and when someone/multiple people give her proper advice she will ignore it like she did about gluing the coral down and just pop it off of the glue and tear the tissue...Just my thoughts going off of previous track records

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

IMO she did the right thing. Imagine tearing through rockwork trying to find little hermit crabs.

4. SwimsWithFish

Scratch that she could have gotten rid of the coral. But still, don't hate on her. That's in called for. She never asked for any opinions this thread was ment to update.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No one was inappropriate.

Only stating that in a weeks time you can not judge the coral's reaction to being glued down.

Since I have never glued one down and others have I was interested to see how it might do.

A better solution to the issue would have been to place the coral in a container that hermit crabs not can get to. It would have allowed the coral peace from the hermits and the coral to move around as need and would have reduced the flow to prevent it from being blown about.

Forums as most know can be a rough and tumble place. I love 3reef because it almost always offers a friendly atmosphere and most are humble including me when I ask for assist.

Referring to others in words that the filter needs accommodate is not appropriate.

When you know you are doing something that is controversial to your tank sometimes it's best just to proceed and later report results, within reason.

It's never my intent to prevent experimentation with aspects of the hobby.

Cheryl~

1 person likes this.
  6. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It was not my intent to attack, but rather to point out the real reason that this was done in the first place. I would have less of a problem if a person admits that they glued their goby down because they liked seeing it in one spot than I would if they said they glued it down to protect it from getting hurt by swimming into the rockwork and getting stuck. Mind you, I would still think it was a cruel thing to do but at least they were owning up to the real reason they did it and were not lost in la la land imagining that they are doing it for noble causes. I have seen this type of thing so many times with other types of animals as well. A person is so intent on doing what they want that they don't even see that they are only serving themselves and not the animal involved. This person was insistent that what she did to the coral was for it's own good when, in reality, was only done so she could have her cake and eat it too. I am all for experimentation as well- as long as it stays within the realm of humane treatment of animals. I prefer when forums are run in a polite and respectful manner but think there needs to be reality checks offered when appropriate as well.

7. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Wow...quite a discussion, LOL! I think everyone should take a deep breath...this is not the type of thread I normally expect to see here at 3Reef.

Just a couple of thoughts I'd like to add. First, I think the OP really did have the corals best interests at heart. What I took away from her posts is that she was concerned the hermits would do more harm to this small plate than a small amount of super glue. It sounds like to me even though it was not the consensus of answers given she felt she was taking the route that would give the coral a better chance of survival...if it continued to get "tossed" about it was almost certainly doomed, so she took action to try and save it. The second thing I'd like to note is I believe we are talking about a Fungia here. Fungia actually start out life attached to the reef and don't become free-living on the substrate until they are larger/older. If you turn over a Fungia you'll find a "scar" or sometimes called a "nipple" in the center where the young Fungia was once attached. With the very small size of the coral in question she may actually be coming closer to replicating the corals habitat at this young age than we realize. I don't think it's unreasonable to think the corals tissue may heal and grow over the glued area. I've seen many a plate coral that has lost tissue on the underside regrow it. I would agree that while a week is certainly enough time for the coral to have died if it was badly stressed by the "gluing" event, it is not enough time to declare total success either.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

Amen. I haven't seen this stuff since I was at reef central and aquarium advice...

10. Reloadeddevil

Reloadeddevil Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just appreciate the fact that she is trying something new for herself and for us to experience. I'd appreciate it if you could keep us up to date on the condition of your plate so we all can learn and better ourselves with that information. Reefing is always and will be learning and never ending experience for all of us. I for one appreciate the fact that you are trying to save your plate and i hope that works for you. So please keep us up to date.

11. SwimsWithFish

+1. (4 characters)

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Well put. I was shocked by some of the stuff I was reading in this thread. I've discussions like this on other forums, but this is a first for here. At least to this degree anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.