Glued Down Plate Coral doing Great!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by HollyG, Dec 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I disagree. I think that if it wasn't happy and isn't doing well, within a week you would START to see a decline, as suddle it probably would be, I would notce.

And I think you are missing the main point of me gluing the coral in place. It was NOT because of it inflating and moving about, I would be fine with that. It was because of my hermit crabs, that's why I decided to glue the coral to a piece of rock. The plate is so small (roughly 1/2 and inch across) that my hermits were flipping it upside down, burrying it and pushing it within stinging distance of my frogspawn! And in time, it probably would have died! I don't plan on having it glued long term, once it grows a little bigger I will be removing it from the rock.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nope I disagree.

One week it's still acclimating.

I just have this funny thing about I told you so threads.

Tried to be diplomatic as did others, but hey why listen to people that have actually kept the coral more than once or been doing this for a long time. For that matter why even post questions?????

1 person likes this.
  4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I'm with you. Sometimes I read, know the answer or opinion, and decide not to join in for that very reason. Time will tell.

5. HollyG

I guess we'll just see then in a couple months time. I'll post updates.

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

actually, let me know how it's doing a year from now. plates can be slow to die and two months won't convince me.

7. HollyG

You know what never mind! Since everyone is just being an ass about the subject! I did not insult or belittle anyone here and a lot of you are being jerks, so screw all of you who are just being *****s. I'm done with this post!

8. Click Here!

9. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

You might not want to ask questions then if you dont want the proper answers because they arent going to suite your need's and are only going to suite the needs of the LIVING ANIMAL you are supposed to be keeping alive

I didnt see anyone here being rude at all actually, You chose to ignore everyones advice from your other thread asking if you should glue the coral down and then thought it would be a good idea to make another thread saying that they were all essentially wron with telling you not to do something THEY KNOW would be detrimental to the health of the animal?

Ill be back guy's my dog keeps trying to roll over, I'm gonna go strap him down infront of the food bowl

1 person likes this.
  10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I see your point, but she wasn't asking a question here. She was just trying to say that so far so good. In her other thread, she had no intention on leaving the coral in its current state. She probably should've just used the other thread though instead of starting a new one. Just my opinion though.

11. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I was mainly referring to the other thread in which she asked a question and was told by NUMEROUS people NOT to glue the plate coral down because it is a LPS and the living issue cover the bottom portion of the coral and not just the visible area's you know?

It's one thing to "contain" the coral by placing small rocks around it but still allowing it to move around and not give the hermit crabs so much space to play frisbee with it

Everyone's point was that 1 week is NOT enough time to say the coral is "doing great" because it just hasnt showed any detrimental effects as of yet BUT IT WILL

I also think my analogy of gluing a scoly or open brain coral's tissue because you want it placed vertical is the same thing as what she did, BUT I bet she would think that was a "silly thing to do" because you can see that living tissue

if she really wanted to she could have placed the plate coral off of the sand bottom onto a shelf and then the hermits wouldnt have gotten to it so easily and it could have stayed there until it was grown out some OR she could have used a frag rack with frag plugs placed around the outer holes beasically creating a fence to keep the plate coral ont he rack until it grew in size a little bit

Ive been doing this for 15-16 years so I do know just a thing or two about keeping corals alive and thriving cause this aint my first rodeo, Nor is it anyo of the other people who gave her excellent advice of NOT doing what she wanted to do

12. RichardinMa

RichardinMa Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think you are missing the main point. The reason you glued it down was because you did not want to remove the hermit crabs that were flipping the coral over and burying it in the sand. You did not glue the coral to save it- you glued it down so that you could have your coral and crabs, too. This was not for the coral- it was for you. Truth be told, I would think the coral would have been happiest to be left free in the tank and have the crabs removed. Whether anyone agrees with anyone is actually not important here, anyway. What we are discussing is preventing an animal from behaving in a natural way so that it pleases the owner and prevents them from having to make an either/or decision. What is important is what the final result is. I agree that a week is far too early to claim success or failure. Incidentally, I am curious as to how you plan to remove the glue from the soft body when it is time to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.