Glue it yourself sump tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by browntrout, May 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Typically you would saw cut or route the acrylic pieces. Yes weld on is a solvent and it's more like welding vs glue. Again this was an idea to create a simple sump tank that some members could use. Simply apply weld on #16 to the joints then assemble the box. If you actually have some long clamps it would obviously work much better. Yes I have glued one of these and with a little common sense the average person can do this. Once the tank is dry you can then run a bead of silicon or weld on 16 to act as a sealant. Remember this is a simple 20g sump. This is the biggest I would go with this design. It's not that easy to square and solvent weld up routed panels without alot of jigs.

The whole point was to sell these at my cost of material and help a few members out. Not trying to get rich off this. Shipping is totally out of the question. If everyone want's some acrylic panels routed or without the tabs PM ME and we can talk.

2. Click Here!

3. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

I wasn't trying to discourage or discount the project. I think its a good idea. I have tried gluing with tabs and it didn't work right. The joints failed from not being able to properly seat the joint. Although it was on a thicker piece (1/2"). I applaud the project and the effort you put into it.

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I looked into buying a laser cutter, MAN THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!! Even small table top hobby cutters are like $7K! I can't even imagine the bad boy you have there, they were up in the $20-30k range, woweeeee!!!

5. rewris

rewris Skunk Shrimp

†he jealousy has arisen in me.

6. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Browntrout,

K+ for a great DIY and for helping fellow 3reefers. Would you cut and ship pieces for a 120gal sump/fuge?

7. ThePlexFather

ThePlexFather Astrea Snail

So we meet again brown trout...lol...:) is this site cool with this kind of thing??? Selling stuff in the diy forum I have tons of people ask me but I turn them down rc. Will ban you for that kind of stuff......my home club is cool with it...dunno....:(

8. Click Here!

9. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Well the mods hit me up at first and said I am running a commercial setup and it's not allowed. After I informed the mod I only had made 3 he said it was cool.

I glued one up using weld on 16 and it holds water just fine. I know in the acrylic world this is not the best way to do it. But for people on a budget who wanted a small sump it would have worked out fine.

We both know that the best way to sell one of these would be to just route some pieces to size.....but then you run into the age old problem. Most people don't have access to the type of tools we have (jigs,routers,polishers etc....)

Compared to RC yeah this place is alot more chill. Just tell people to PM you and hook them up. You have really good skills working with acrylic. It's like welding steel takes practice especially TIG.

Thanks for the advice about my frag tank. gonna route down my 3/8 plex this weekend and build some jigs.

10. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Well if you wanted a 120g sump/fuge I would never in a million years construct one this way with the notches or laser cut. It's just to big for this application. You really need perfect edges on your acrylic sheets and all pieces must be cut exact. That's the easy part squaring it up and welding it together is the artform part.

11. ThePlexFather

ThePlexFather Astrea Snail

Yup yup...good luck on that tank build there easy.........if I had the time to produce one of my diy projects it would take off like a rocket......I got the top manufacters in my pocket on this one......but I can't so I don't show it lol......maybe I should sell the rights to it :).....

12. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

Would and could you cut a refugium to specifications I need, without the notches, and using clear acrylic 0.25 in. I'm looking for something 40"x18"x18", and if so how much would you charge with shipping to 44203. I have been looking for a refug, sump, with freshwater ato reservoir, for my new 150g tall tank but have not found one that meets my needs.

Any feedback would be great.

Dustin