Glue it yourself sump tank

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by browntrout, May 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Im selling these for 75 bucks shipped.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Thanks. It's up to the buyer to do a nice glue job. Just use some weld on 3 acrylic glue. I will rough the edges up so they will bond. These use some aquarium silicon to seal it!

4. Agent Jones

Agent Jones Flamingo Tongue

you have a link to the products that will be needed so i can be sure i get the right thing and so i can see how much it cost?

also how do the enterior walls connect? is that with glue also?

5. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

You can use this IPS Weld-On 16 Cement: TAP Plastics&

Or this works good. This is harder to use since it's almost like water. You need to get good pressure on the joints.

IPS Weld-On 16 Cement: TAP Plastics&

for a 20g either will work, The 16 will be easier, then after it's all dry I would buy some aquarium silicon and seal the joints up.

Here is a video on how to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  6. Agent Jones

how much to have it shipped all put together with the chambers already in place......

7. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

See I don't really mind gluing these things up, I just happened to cut some extra pieces out since I had to cut up a full sheet. I made it so I could ship a few of these to a few members on the board. If I glue them up it kinda defeats the purpose of a cost friendly sump tank. Shipping gets $$$ with oversized boxes.

I posted a video on how to glue acrylic. Use number 16 the gell stuff and it's really easy with the tabs I cut into the tanks

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I use Weld-On #4 since it doesn't dry as fast as #3. I'm not that fast, lol. #16 is great, unless you have static electricity on you, the stuff will start going crazy, like silly string!
    Oh, and to ship something like an acrylic sump would be about $200, it ain't cheap!
    Good work browntrout, it's an awesome thing you are doing with this. $75 is about the cost of the acrylic alone, this guy is basically doing this for free! +K to you bud! :)

10. Agent Jones

200 to ship a 20 acrylic sump? shipping with who?

i just sent a 30 gal tank for 35 bucks ups ground.

11. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

browntrout, have you glued one of these together yet with the tabs to find out how difficult its going to be to get a good bond on the joints? Weld-On isn't a glue, its a solvent. And with the notches, you are going to have to move the piece in 4 different directions (2 are opposing) to close the pin gaps. And silicone isn't a good choice for sealing leaks. A proper WO joint won't leak but in the event you have an issue, WO16 is a much better choice to try to seal the leak than silicone. Silicone won't stick to acrylic (it just sits on the surface) so it acts more like a coffer dam of sorts. WO16 will wick into the joint and chemically bond the two pieces together.

Nice project but try gluing two pieces together with tabs first. :(

12. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Depends on how you ship it, and if you insure it. Here is one account of shipping costs:
    Melevsreef.com - Shipping Costs
    With insured shipping, it will realistically run about $100+ give or take, depending on the cost of the box and packaging peanuts.