glofish and blue/red tetras in same tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by joeydominick, Mar 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. joeydominick

joeydominick Astrea Snail

is this ok? had 3 glofish and just added 3 blue/red tetra? the tetras are chasing the little glofish around?is this a good mix

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

You will be fine...They will settle down in a day or so.

4. joeydominick

thanks for the reply. all new to this. do you know if guppies and other fish that state they need some salt in the water can be put in without harming the other fish. went to petsmart and they said that they no longer add salt to the freshwater fish that state salt recommsnded

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I dont add salt to any of my freshwater tanks. The only fish that really like it are Mollies. I have worked at Petco, and they use WAY too much salt in my opinion. You will be fine with no salt.

6. joeydominick

looks like the tetras have pretty much laid off the glofish, however the glofish seem to be hanging around the top of the tank (about 1-6inches) and wont swim down to the bottom, is this normal behavior, anyone? before I added they liked the bottom, now they done even go near it.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My mom has glofish and they only hang out at the top and are always begging for food! They definitely are top water swimmers.

8. Click Here!

9. joeydominick

tetras are still behaving, at least 2 of them are. the glos occassional go half way down the tank and get chased back up by the one tetra

10. kitty2234

kitty2234 Plankton

Hi. I recommend separate tanks.

I have a few tetra varietys at my place. I had to give them their own tank. The red light tetras and the other 4 tetras are like silver dollar shaped; turned out to highly aggressive in our 10 gallon tank. The neon tetras are living with them, but are having a rough time. Many fights and chasing constantly. I am thinking of moving them to a 20 gallon tank and increasing the plants.

The current tank is sparely planted. The community fish were being slaughtered. Tails were eaten. Had to remove all of the community fish. I plan to keep the neons with the community fish, after removing the fighting tetras. The tetras seem to have 3 males and 3 females,2 of each color or type.

What might be safe to add to the 20 gallon tank? Maybe more tetras?

11. joeydominick

mine all calmed down. Ive got 6 glo fish, 3 blue/red tetras, and just added 3 cherry barbs. They all get along and chase each other occassionally.

12. joeydominick

so much for peace. I took my 2 year old down with me to see "his" fish. turned the lights on and 2 of the tetras had glo fish in their mouth half eaten. I was so pissed I removed all the tank decorations and then fished out the tetras. They had a nice swim! sorry but no dollar fish is going to destrpy my tank.:cry: