glasscages

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by APC, Sep 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Thanks for the additional input. I really appreciate the opinions!

2. Click Here!

3. UltimateWarrior

UltimateWarrior Spaghetti Worm

Digging this out of the graveyard...

As you may be aware, managing a marine biotope involves a considerable investment. It is in the interest of its protection that I recall this thread from the ages. I've read a couple of threads concerning Glass Cages, their work, and their service. It would make sense to me that people with bad experiences would be more vocal about them. I chose this thread because it contains a few positive experiences.

I like the dimensions of their 95 gallon (48" l x 24" w x 17" h) a lot, and the price is ridiculous (low). How have their tanks worked for you? What kind of quality can I expect? And ultimately, would you recommend for or against their tanks with your investments in mind?

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Yea, I'd go ahead and recommend against them. I have not personally owned one but I've read plenty of stories about their tanks cracking. One of the LFS here had a huge glasscages display tank and it cracked and drained. Not cool. the workmanship is also is sub-par from looking at the tanks.

5. piezopaul

piezopaul Bristle Worm

I've never used them, but where else do you hear wholesale stories about tanks breaking. I'd rather get a used tank of higher quality than a new tank with a question mark. Tank failure is a mess, both for the sea creatures and for your home. Be careful.- Paul

6. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

If everyone hates glasscages, can someone recommend another reputable cheap company?

7. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Try Miracles out of Toronto, Canada. They make superb tanks & they stand behind their product.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

99% of the stories you read about GC being crappy are ones on the internet with no proof to back up the claims that some people are making.

I know several guys that have GC tanks, and only one has had an issue, and that was a bubble in the glass. Their silicone work is a little messier than how I would personally make it, but overall, their silicone jobs are not any worse than AGA, or other brands are.

MIG is good, but I have seen more mess ups on custom tanks from MIG than from GC. Not reading the tank specs and not making the tank as told to, even with documented designs is a very bad practice. They usually fix the issue, but it takes a lot of time.

FWIW, GC tanks are usually 30-50% less money than MIG.

One real thing I would watch with GC is the thickness of the glass. I have a glass chart that shows the strength of each pane and the safety factor for given lengths heights and thickness of glass. You might want to upsize the glass thickness if the safety factor is not high enough for your liking. A few dollars more at the time of purchase is a wise investment.

Now GC does sell terrarium designed tanks. These are not designed to be full of water. I suspect many of the tank stories of GC that crack were never meant to be used as aquariums.

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

FWIW, a guy I work with had a center brace break in his Glasscages tank. He was able to empty the tank before it exploded.

11. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Disclaimer: I do not own a GC tank.

I will second Horkn - ask people who actually buy the tanks themselves - not the internets. It's almost an urban legend at this point. If they were that bad, they wouldn't still be in business. Having said all that, it only takes one person having a bad experience, and that can have quite a bit of influence on other folks.

1 person likes this.
  12. kgk

kgk Plankton

I bought this exact tank in early March. The tank itself is great, and the price (even with Starphire) is certainly right. The silicone was a bit sloppy around the edges, but that's it. I also bought a stand from them. Big mistake. Their stands are plywood boxes, enclosed on all sides. I cut some holes in the back for ventilation & electrical cords, and when I went to put the tank on the stand, I realized they cut the darn hole for the overflow too small. Like, not even close, too small. I emailed them, and they basically said - well, make it bigger, don't bug me about it! That's what I was going to do anyway, but seriously ... at least they could have pretended like they gave a crap at all.

I'd buy a tank from them again, but that's it. Happy with the tank but not necessarily the company, if you know what I mean. It's cheap, you gotta give 'em that...