glass top over tank, under lighting, good idea?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Guest, Oct 18, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have heard conflicting ideas about the use of a glass cover over a tank. I am getting a 72g bow front and the matching glass top. I am going to be using the Custom Sea Life 4x65 CF w/moon lighting setup. I have heard not to use the glass top because it messes with the light. But I have heard that if you don't use a top the possible splashing and/or salt evaporation will ruin the assembly. Obviously I do not want to throw away a $250 light assembly, but I want to make sure it is effective for my tank. Tank will be fish, live rock/sand, and soft corals. Lights are 2x Actinic and 2x 10,000 CF bulbs each at 65w. Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: glass top over tank, under lighting, good idea

Hey Tom,

Someone just emailed me the link to this forum for me to take a look at. I was browsing through the diferent pages to see what people are discussing and recognized your name. I rarely answer anything in a forum for lack of time but since you are a customer.......

There are a number of considerations for whether you should have an open top or not. Without knowing specifics, I will always tell you to keep an open top. You do not have to worry about the lighting fixture you just purchased, it will be unaffected.

If you want to give me specifics as far as filtration, etc., I will be glad to advise you based on your particulars. Just email to customer service and one of my people will make me aware of it.

Good Luck

4. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

Hello Mr Barriere or anyone Else who may be able to help me here.My tank consists of 55g, Prizm Skimmer, Aquaclear 802 powerhead..60 to 65lbs of live rock....3 1/2 inches of sand plus live sand a litophyton, green star polops..and a very small piece my LFS gave me(he's farming from his show tank)I forgot the name. Fish are a yellow tang,coral beauty,and tiny little clown fish(nemo..I have a 2 yr old)and a domino damsel,a yellow damsel and a cleaner shrimp.
    I swapped out my Custom Sea Life 2 bulb unit for a Coralife Aqualight 4 bulb system,dual fan. I run an oak canopy and covers over the water. I'm courious if I can drop my light directly over the water or buy the acrylic covers for it. I'm considering the legs for the unit as well to pull the light a little further away from the water,to prevent salt build up on the light fixture.Bulbs are exact as above.
    I wanted to swap out my CSL unit due to I heard they went out of buss,and didnt want any problems if something went wrong with the unit. Please Help.
    Thank You
    N2R

5. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

my unit came with a plexi glass cover over the lights..i plan to mount them in a canopy soon tho