Glass Lid and Gas Exchange Question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Dec 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, I have a 46 Gallon Bow Front with a Glass Versa Top sitting on top of it. I am also running a 10 gallon sump and there is not a cover on the sump. I have heard that a glass top would prevent gas exchange which would cause my Saltwater fish to suffocate. Would a sump accomplish this goal, and still allow me to use my glas lid to prevent jumpers? Some feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Why not try a mesh screen instead of tops that way you get more light through in addition to gas exchange

4. texanjordan

I am already using a glass top, and I just had it custom cut to fit my new overflow box, for the new sump that I just put in. I like the way that it looks, and if gas exchange will occur with my sump, I would love to leave it the way that it is.

5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

What's your ph running?

6. texanjordan

no idea, right now im just running a chichlid tank. I PCS in a few months, I will set it up salt when I get where I am going, I am buying all of my Salt equipment before hand. PH doesnt seem to be an issue in my tank.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

in theory a sump could do it. I'm not sure if your sump is big enough though, so I'll let others chime in. A good skimmer will help with oxygenation but that's only part of the story (I don't think they help too well with gas exchange though??? not sure)

If your goal is coral /reef tank - the glass lid is not a project blocker, but it does block light so this is a concern to be aware of.

I would look into drilling holes in the glass cover (and potentially putting a screen over the holes).

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I would think that you would get good gas exchange in the sump, as long as it is well ventilated. You could would give it a try, and just watch your PH and add fish slowly.

edit:
    And like Peredhil said it depends on the size of the sump.

1 person likes this.
  10. texanjordan

I bought a Sea Clone Protein Skimmer, and I will be running that in my sump to skim my water. should churn the water pretty well.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

good point pg. the sump would need to be well ventilated in this scenario. I have real doubts a 10 gallon tucked in a cabinet would do enough gas exchange... but one in the open in a well ventilated room... probably.

12. texanjordan

The glass top does not completely cover the top of my tank, there is a strip of about 2 inches that is open in the back for components, like a heater etc. It came with hard plastic which clips onto the glass and covers that 2 inch gap.