Glass get a scratch? OOWWWW!!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Stovebolt-V8, Mar 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stovebolt-V8

Stovebolt-V8 Feather Duster

My scratch was caused by a simple error. I was cleaning the front glass with one of those magnet things and didn't realize I had a grain of sand in the OUTSIDE piece :(. Lucky it was on the outside :-/

2. Click Here!

3. ReefOne

ReefOne Plankton

I have a scratch(about 3 inches long) in the middle of the front glass but it's outside when i run my finger nail it catches I guess considering deep scratch?. I am thinking of doing something about it. Please let us know how yours turns out using the kit.

4. Stovebolt-V8

I'm sure sick of grinding the front glass with what seems like not much more than a papertowel :eek: I've used 28 of the course 3 in disks and the deep scratch is gone, now I need to use the other grits in there order to get it back to clear. It's kind of interesting to view the tank through a 6 in by 4 foot frosted glass area.

I found out more about what caused the scratch in the firstplace. The gal I bought the tank from included a pair of "Mag-Float" glass cleaners. Upon closer inspection during one of my many rest periods I found that what I thought was a piece of sand caught in the felt turned out to be a piece of metal coming through the felt, and BOTH sets have the same thing in the same spot!! The one is worse than the other and you know which one I chose to use first :eek: If your using this same glass cleaner system check yours and let me know if you find the same thing. Mine is 1 inch in from the end and 1/2 inch from the side.

5. Stovebolt-V8

If you can catch your finger nail very easy, it's deep :eek:

I'll keep all posted

6. ReefOne

ReefOne Plankton

Are you using some sort of Polishing/Buffing tool?

7. Stovebolt-V8

Yes, I give details up on the first few posts. It's a drill mounted rubber pad with stick-on sanding disks made of some sort of impregnated fiberglass :)

8. Click Here!

9. ReefOne

ReefOne Plankton

How is it going? any updates? I am about to order the pads but I'd like to hear from you first if it really works.

Thanks!

10. Stovebolt-V8

I have to say it's a lot of work and it's right up the alley for all us SWFT with an emphisis on patience. I have taken a break from the process for a few days :p It's kind of cool watching the fish etc. through a foggy area of the glass :(

Here's my key learnings, if you can catch your fingernail easily it's a BAD scratch! and you need to add the course and med/course pads to your order. Here's the link to the pad page https://www.gtglass.com/3m-trizact-discs-pads-and-protection-film

You can buy the pads "each" or in 25 packs. If your scratch is more than 6 in long get the 25 pack. I needed more of the "fine" pads due to the size of mine but 25 would be overkill. That's where I'm at now, waiting for those fine pads to get here. A 4 foot scratch can be a real chalenge. :eek: What comes with the kit is fine for a scratch less than 6 in except for the courser pads needed.

I'll update again when I get to the next step but it's looking looking like it will remove the scratch and polish up the glass back to new. ;D

11. Stovebolt-V8

Well all, I'm defeated! :( I have polished and rubbed then polished somemore! I just can't get past that "haze" that covers the area. :confused: The scratch is completly gone now :-/ The haze is almost bearable (due to frustration) :angry: I'm now in the market for a new Bow Front tank :cry: And naturally the manufactures no longer make them near that size. Anyone have a 80 to 90 gal bow front? ::)

12. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

Awww I am sorry to hear the bad news, I was hoping for a good out come because I was thinking of cleaning up my tank.

If I see a 90gal bow around my area I will repost.