Glass frag plugs?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by greysoul, Apr 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

My only question is will the frags grow and spread on this glass plug?
    Ive never seen a piece of beach glass with anything growing on it.

2. Click Here!

3. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

Glass

Good point,,but i never saw a beach!

4. lfckenya

lfckenya Spaghetti Worm

i think once the coral such as a zoa outgrows the roughened area it wont be able to adhere to the smooth part of the glass...imho.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol:

Those things look great. I can't wait to find out how they do as frag plugs!

6. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

That's also my concern... I can tumble or sandblast them to get a fully roughed surface, no problem.

I think the main reason you don't see beach glass with zoas on them is beach glass is typically small chunks that are at the shoe line and constantly tumbled by waves.... I'm new to this, but i don't think zoa's etc like to a) be out of the water on the beach b) tumbled upside down all day.

I HAVE seen old japanese fishing floats fully encrusted in coralline algae, barnacles, worms, etc to the point they look like sphereical live rock.

7. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

Zoanthids occur in a wide range of tropical and subtropical habitats, but they are typically found in reef flats, sandy hard bottoms, rocky shorelines and tide pools. Many species occur in the intertidal zone, where they are completely exposed to air at low tide

8. Click Here!

9. Viper3166

Viper3166 Feather Duster

Greysoul let me know when do decide to ship some im very interested, the standard ones will be fine. would prob be looking at 10 or more. I think as long as the top is roughed up that will be fine.

10. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

OK I am sold... Will you be doing a colbolt blue?

11. Elebriend

Elebriend Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey so I have a question, may or maynot be valid but what are the chances of silicate from the glass starting a diatom bloom. Now I know the whole thing of, "Well a lot of out tanks are glass", but would the grounding of the glass release silicate?

12. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

It may be an issue, I don't know what amount of silicates would be required to have any noticeable affect. Any loose silica would easily brush off with a bit of water and a tooth brush.

Also, wouldn't the epoxy and/or gel superglue seal it up the rest of the way?

I will make some cobalt ones tomorrow, and post pics. cobalt glass is about 4-5 x the cost of clear in the glass we use.