Glass frag plugs?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by greysoul, Apr 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

Being a glass blower would be sweet. I have asthma though.

2. Click Here!

3. vetteman

vetteman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

hhahahahah!! I just hear his voice.."Billy Mays here"

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  4. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

That guy bugs the bajesus out of me... Hubby and I laugh and joke what he would be like well.. with his wife/girlfriend... I'll just leave it there..

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I've caught a couple episodes of "Pitchmen" and he doesn't yell all the time, surprisingly!! IDK why he thinks it's a good idea to do it for commercials :shifty:

Glass frag plugs sound awesome!!

6. nano-cubist

nano-cubist Plankton

Plug n Play

Did you check out the ones that were in the egg-crate when you were over Doug, I might have made them that night? I made a few using 12mm rod, seems to fit nice into the frag rack. I made a stem with a flat top, ground it on the top with a 270 grit and the glue has been fine for 4 days so far. I dont see why it would be a problem. I have a fast growing zoa that has already sprouted a polyp, but nothing has grown onto the glass yet. Ill let you know as it grows.
    I posted on another forum, and was wondering what would be the optimal size and shape of a plug? Color, etc.
    Just a fyi, Doug and I are bro's, I recently got him hooked on the reef with our little 29 biocube. All of the frags pictured are destined for his tank as soon as the cycle is finished. Im sure Doug will update pics as they are placed, and grow out.
    Andrew

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  7. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

Very nice. Excellent work. They have a very nice, clean look about them.

8. Click Here!

9. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Didn't see those in the tank Andrew, must have been after I left, but they look good and can't wait to get them in my tank :cheesy:

Here's what I came up with... (see attachments)

I don't think we can compete on the price point of cement or epoxy plugs, but the aesthetics might be appealing. Also, the glass is completely inert. It's high quality German made scientific glass, comparable to Pyrex labware (not the cooking ware). I'm curious if they may have a niche use in difficult to propagate frags.

The cost I am currently kicking around is about $2 per plug, which covers overhead, and if I can find a way to make them faster I would maybe even see some profit.

I have a few more ideas kicking around to ease production costs, but for now I would say in the range of $2/plug. I don't know what production of large amounts would entail, so if anyone is interested let me know what your needs would be. As this is an untested product I think it's safe to say I'll be waiting for Andrews results before I make too many of these.

-Doug

Attached Files:

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

hey greysoul, it you have artistic side i think it would be cool if you tried to replicate a sps coral, or maybe do some corals with colored glass.

11. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I was thinking a glass SPS would be cool, it would eventually get covered with corraline algaes and stuff, might look kind of natural ... but I also don't want anything that clearly looks "fake" in my tank.

Even the dead corals I have as live rock kind of look out of place to me.

12. coolridernum1

coolridernum1 Feather Duster

Glass corals

I think a glass reef would look amazing!