Giving Acros a shot

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Brandon1023, Dec 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

So this past summer I bought 3 SPS frags, pocillipora (sp?), montipora, and birds nest. My montipora has just grown insanely, the pocillipora is doing really well also.

The only one that I had trouble with was the birds nest. My guess is that it was directly "downwind" from my colt coral. After some much needed maintenance on the tank today I did some coral moveage (noticed that my 4-head frogspawn now has SIX heads, with literally TEN...yes TEN more baby heads on the way!!) and put the colt in kind of a corner so maybe I can get the birdy back in its nest.

Anyways I spent $15 on a 1 1/2'' frag of a really cool teal blue/green acro. I figure I am pretty much doing everything else right, and I can test my waters on this little frag. After looking at all the different color Acros there are I really think down the road that that's where I want to take my tank.

So other then what I have read already, anyone have some personal advise for this little guy? I have halides but still positioned it as high in the tank as I can get it (it was under halides at the LFS also so no light shock expected). I was really encouraged by reading that Acros tend to have a faster growth rate. By summer it should be a really nice piece. Yay! ;D

--Brandon

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Oh and on a side note, my yellow tang died last week :-[ I really have NO idea why. He (she?) was swimming merrily around the day before he kicked it. Was eating just fine and showing no signs of despair or discomfort at all. Next thing I know, the next morning I glance at my tank and notice hes in the clutches of my ever-growing frogspawn!

Naturally I got him out, he was moving but not swimming. Netted him up (leaving the net in the water, just wanted to get him off the sand in case maybe he was in shock or something) and he was dead 30min later. Very sad. That was the first tang I ever was able to keep alive for any meaningful length of time. I'm really not meant to have a tang..... :-/

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Sorry to hear, that happened to my blue tang...one day swimming just fine, the nexy day near death. Tangs sure are act in weird ways.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That really depends on the acro. I've got a few that grow rather quickly and a few that grow very slowly. Either way, if you keep up what you've been doing so far, you should have some growth on that bad boy worth bragging about by summertime :)