Girls can have tanks too =]

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Kristiavi, Mar 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

btw. Sorry for hijacking the thread but then again some of these places somone else mayvisit or order from one day:)

2. Click Here!

3. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

Its okay it was actually very helpful, I grew up in Port Huron (St.Clair County) and my brother just started a tank and was looking for some stores. Thanks!

4. 1babelove

1babelove Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Welcome to 3reef!.. I have to touch.. but have my moments... oh and yes I am a girl..lol!

5. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

if ur ever traveling thru Tallahassee i'll get ya some frags if i have any :) Free of charge for ur hubby's service :)

6. Peter T

Peter T Flamingo Tongue

I just noticed you are in Jacksonville. Is your husband stationed in NAS or Mayport? I grew up in Jacksonville, just moved back here not too long ago too.

My sister met her husband because he was stationed in Jacksonville.

7. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I would also agree that it's best to let the aquarium settle without adding any more fish for the next few weeks.

I would suggest removing the sand sifting star as I don't think these are reef safe. And it might eat any small invertebrates you add. So you won't be able to have any shrimp. May I suggest removing the sand sifting star and maybe trading it in for a brittle starfish (not the green ones) or a cucumber. I think a brittle star is less likely to eat small inverts.

If your worried about the sand being clean get a couple nassarius snails and fighting conches. If one or two of these die it will be less stressful on the tank than a sand sifting star decaying under your sandbed.

By the way: I try to wear gloves when I reach into the tank because it's healthier for everything in the tank. I use hand sanitizer all the time throughout the day and sometimes I worry about it transfering from my hand to the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Kristiavi

Thanks so much! Thats really sweet of you =]

10. Kristiavi

My hubby is station at Mayport on the USS Halyburton FFG40, I really like it here, been here 3 years. Soooo much better then michigan lol

11. Kristiavi

I have been really debating about my star fish, he seems to be in great shape in my tank and really keeps the sand bed clean, he eats all the diatom and leftover brine shrimp. He never burries him self, just chills on the top of the sand. He is reef safe, I did my research before I bought him. My tank is going through a nasty diatom bloom and I HATE the nasty brown coloring on my pretty white sand bed, I will try nassarius snails but the snails i have now wont touch my sand bed, only the glass and live rock. hmmm decisions decisions =]

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

nassarius snails are one of the coolest snails to have. they burrow into the sand and when you feed they pop up out of the sand. when you have many it looks like all the sand is moving. they are a must have if you ask me. very cool and do a great cleaning job.