Girls can have tanks too =]

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Kristiavi, Mar 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

What should I suppliment the star fish with? I didnt know there was a sand sifting cucumber! Might have to look into that one, the only reason I got a star fish was because my sand bed is constantly turning brown and he seems to mix it up and keep it clean looking, i didnt realize he could be starving for months! Thanks for the info

2. Click Here!

3. Peter T

Peter T Flamingo Tongue

Not a problem, you can buy some frozen food preparations, and then inject it in the sand next to the star (found that on wetwebmedia :) ). My biggest worry about them is they eat all the beneficial life found in sand beds. Even the LFS owner next to me advises against buying them, and they are in the business to make money! :p

Your sand is probably constantly turning brown from the diatom bloom that happens to newly cycled tanks. It is just a phase and will go away when the diatom algae consumes the silicates in your sand. But before/if you buy any cucumbers, make sure it is the sand sifting variety and not the sea apple! Those things can crash a tank if they die! Certain cucumbers can crash a tank regardless of type, but I think they probably crash tanks more from a large animal decomposing in a small tank more so than the toxins they release.

Hope that helps some!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

LOL ...to the dont touch icky club ;D

5. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Hi Lady, Young lady that is. Welcome to the bowfront club.

We need to clarify the size. I dont believe there is a 40 gallon. either 36 or 46. This is just good to know in the future if ever calculating water volume.

Is there any other questions you may have?

And I your off to a goods start and not meaning to be negative but just seeing in which ways the tank could contunie climbing up, I noticed not a lot of Live Rock. Do ou know howmany pounds you have?pounds required? pounds desired?

Also welcome to 3reef.

6. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hi and Welcome! My tank is my only hobby so hubby lets me keep it. I love the sliminess that goes with it too! (I'm weird) One day I washed my hands and arms just to see what a GSP feels like. =D

7. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Im a girl and I have to stop myself from touching my corals :p because I know its not good for them but I loooove how they feel all gooooooooeeeyy :D love love love it. Its the guys that think im weird. I love watching the polyps close up as I gently run my fingers over them. hehehe

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Lol that just sounds funny. Some of the things I don't mind touching but others I'm afraid of hurting or, as said before, just feel icky lol. I wish I could get my wife more into the hobby. She likes to look at it but doesn't like getting involved and gets mad when i say I want to start anothr one lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

love the blue chromis. one of my favorite fish. their color is so pretty. the local fish store had a school of tiny chromis, i wished i had a larger tank so i could have bought them all. but i cant fit another fish. i have to keep drilling that into my head. lol since im overstocked already.

11. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

Your right I had to go back and look the the pictures I took of the tank brand new and sure enough the sticker says 36 gallon, I dont know where I got 40 from lol. Thanks!

As far as live rock goes, I have between35-40 pounds. I know your supposed to have 2lbs per gallon but they are so exspensive so I buying a few pieces each paycheck.

I do have a question though, Im having a hard time stacking live rock, it always seems to fall over, is there a trick im just not getting or do I have my tank set up wrong? Any help would be awesome! Thanks again

12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello, glad to have you here. I will be voice of caution here. Although the tank is looking good (I like the rock work) you are going too fast. The tank is too young to be stocking. Most people either didn't catch how young it is or don't want to say anything so I am the one to tell you. Slow down. Let the tank catch up to the current load. Work more at testing and dosing accordingly to keep the parameters steady with no big swings. If you are uncertain as to what you need to do just let us know.