GHA leave me alone!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JayTropical, Jun 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

yea.. unfortunatly a yellow tang in my tank is not an option, i wouldnt put a yellow tang in my tiny 37g. thanks for the idea though :) maybe it would work for kc.

how about nuking each rock one by one? leaving a few weeks in between each nuke as to not cause a cycle.

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

haha thanks for thinking of me! But I already have a tang who doesn't touch the stuff :angry:

4. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

I had a terrible GHA problem in my old tank until I realized that the R/O DI water I was buying from my local fish store was not any good. Their filters needed to be changed. I bought my own R/O DI unit and the GHA went away fairly quickly. I also added a phosphate reactor. I would suggest using a TDS meter on your R/O DI water to see if it is pure. You can pic that stuff daily and it won't do any good until you get to the root of the problem. You would not have GHA if the nutrients it needs were not present in your water for some reason.

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I set up my tank with RO/DI water from my own unit and only use that for water changes. I tested my water with a TDS meter and it read 0. I was hoping that was the problem so I could easily do something about it.

1 person likes this.
  6. JayTropical

i aswell have my own RODI, Spectapure with a dual TDS meter, comes out zero everytime.

1 person likes this.
  7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Jay, I'll let you know how the urchin does. It is coming tomorrow. If he eats the GHA well maybe you should get one!

8. Click Here!

9. Viper3166

Viper3166 Feather Duster

I battled GHA for about 13 months, it was due to a bad RO/DI Membrane. the unit was given to me and i changed everything but and took the guys word bad mistake. I did two 40g water changes a week and pulled and sucking what i could while changing water, bought alot of turbo snails and such. I've tried Sea Hare's like these http://www.toofishy.com/product.php?productid=19397&cat=0&page=1 lasted a week and then nothing. kept on the water changes and gave up on the sea hare idea. i changed the bulbs added phos reactor the whole nine yards. Not sure it was just luck but i added 3 of these sea hare's Bursatella leachii "Blue Dot Sea Hare" - Small | Sea Slugs & Nudibranchs | Saltwater Invertebrates | Aquarium Livestock - ThatPetPlace.com did the trick, but you need to get the gha as short as possible before you add them as nothing wil really tough 2in gha. I currently have a very small patch of gha on a rock and that's it. Here was my try at getting the Ugly Tank Contest 2.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-cleaners/ugly-tank-contest-2-cyanos-revenge-76776-2.html

More Recent pic
    Steve's 180G Reef

Hope this helps don't give up you will win the battle.

10. JayTropical

thanks Kacy! im interested to know.

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

here is the post on the actual thread for ugliest tank:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-cl...est-2-cyanos-revenge-76776-15.html#post753395

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What are your calcium/alk/magnesium levels at? Also, I'm not sure that nitrates are a dissolved "solid" so I would go ahead and check your r.o. water for nitrates at least.