GHA leave me alone!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JayTropical, Jun 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Good idea. I'll get a pic a bit later tonight.

4. JayTropical

I dumped 6 med sized turbos in at once, not one touched it.. think it may be too long at this point

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Not a lot eats bryopsis. Snails work well against a generic GHA, but bryopsis has a toxin that can cause corals to recede and keeps most herbivores from going after it. It's also harder to get rid of than a random GHA.

I have no idea how to ID it well, since bryopsis is a genus, not a single species. The ones I've seen have what looks like a stalk, with what look like pine needles coming off it. Kinda like an evergreen tree.

6. blackraven1425

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Hmmm thanks. I'm not sure! Mine looks like GHA, sometimes looks like feathers/ferns (which kind of sounds like bryopsis) and is really hard to pull off the rocks, which also sounds like bryopsis. I'm not sure!! I just hope my urchin likes it. lol

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

Well, just like with coralline, urchins can actually spread around bits of the algae and make the problem worse.

10. JayTropical

[​IMG]

here is a picture of it, this is all over the tank...

11. thunderbay75

thunderbay75 Plankton

I had the same thing, i cut the long stuff down with scissors, and got a yellow tang. I have said this before to others, but people are insistant that yellow tangs dont eat GHA, but ive had GHA and did the above remidy and now its gone....then my yellow tang got sick and died, my tank got swamped with GHA and so, I went to the LFS and picked up another, after a descent cleaning of the tank and now my tank is back to normal... I swear that yellow tang eat this stuff, I have witnessed the tang eating it, when ever there is any, and it eats it off of the rocks, snails, hermits, pretty much anywhere the GHA is, it just cant be super long, it has to be cut back and let the tang go to town, its free food for him, or so it seems. Hopefully this helps, it was just by chance that I found this remedy, as I too was worried about the state of my aquarium...I thought it was going to be the end... But my little yellow friend saved my aquarium twice.;D

12. thunderbay75

thunderbay75 Plankton

This is what my tank looked like and what it looks like now.
    P1010671 (3).jpg

P1030535 (3).jpg