GHA is back!!!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Puffer Chick, Feb 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thanks and yea deffiently been rough, for now ive placed my urchin in the gha spot so im hoping he will eat it but if he doesnt ill get the blenny

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Are your alk/calcium/magnesium levels where they should be?

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

See if you can find a sea hare you can borrow or rent. They do an awesome job with hair algae, but if there isn't enough algae after a certain period of time they starve. The problem may be because of all the fish that have died recently.

Two little fishies' phosban reactor can hang on your tank and all you need to run it is a very small pump that you can hide behind your rocks.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i dont have a mag test but last week when i tested the alk and calcium were all within normal range according to api, i forget the exact readings for those but they were deffiently in normal range

i dont think i have enough for a sea hare but "borrowing" might be ok, i placed my urchin in the section where the GHA i could tell he ate some but ignored the rest

i had loooked at the tow little fishies one before but wasnt sure if it was it was possible to do a HOB or if it was too big or not ill do some more digging around on it

6. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

They don't eat GHA..... A sea hare is going to devour GHA, but they eat themselves out of house and home. You will need a constant supply or the animal will most likely die unless you try and supplement it with sheets of nori or equialent.

7. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

You could probably suffocate the algae by burring it in the sand if it's just a small patch, but you would still need to address the route of the problem.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

on one of the rocks its quite a bit i think it was mainly becaues i origiginally had a dead spot because all of the near by rocks that i had that one big one touching it had a few patches of GHA

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Without a pic, I think you are over reacting PC. The latest pics I've seen of your tank look pretty clean. Just based on your post though, it sounds to me like all you did was uncover a spot your CuC couldn't reach. Now that it is exposed, I bet the existing CuC will take care of it (you have a reefcleaner crew right?).

We're all going to have a little bit here and there. If it spreads or gets worse, I'd worry, but just uncovering a spot and finding a little patch? No biggy.

This might have been a reaction to the fish that have recently been dying and the N cycle is just catching up to the death and this is a temporary result.

IMO, this is bad advise. Having a little GHA will not sustain one of these fish and if you can't sustain them on algae you have to feed them... a lot and this can easily lead to over feeding the tank and get yourself in a cycle of over feeding, algae, fish eats all algae, fish gets skinny, you feed it more repeat.

These fish need large tanks with lots of naturally growing food to really do well.

1 person likes this.
  11. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Could not have said that better Pered, K+ :)

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid