GHA is back!!!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Puffer Chick, Feb 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I dont know why and i dont know how but today after i redid my aquascape i flipped over some rocks and they have GHA, i had been GHA free for the longest time now, my tank is 7 months old ammonia nitrite nitrate and phosphates are all 0 i want a phosban reactor but i dont have a sump or anywhere to place one. I use RO/DI water, bulbs are 5 months old now actinics come on at 12 daylights at 1 daylights off at 8 actinics off at 9 moonlights off at 8am, i dont overfeed but i guess i will have to drastically cut down my feeding now.

i have a large CUC full of blue legged hermits, nassarius *sp*snails, nerites, ceriths cleaner srhimp, tuxedo urchin, and emerald crab.

only thing i can think of is my bulbs do i already have to change them?

and looking on more rocks, its on more than one, i need help!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Probably don't need to change the bulbs if they were new when you bought the light. Cutting back on feeding is a good idea. You may have to struggle with it until the nitrate and phosphate leach out of your rock. Make sure and clean all of your equipment thoroughly at least once a month. Check your flow and make sure it gets behind, around and through your rocks to keep detritus suspended so your filter can get it.

4. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

Try a lawnmower blenny. They work great and fun to watch.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea the bubls were new when i bought the light, im starting to think that it was maybe caused from a dead spot on how i had the rocks, although flow is deffiently not a problem as i have a vortech mp20 and its great but maybe these rocks were just in a dead spot? and one rock has quite a bit and is now facing towards my light so now im afraid its going to spread/grow even more, i see it moving in the current so maybe it will go down :/

i have though about getting one, as i now have the room and with this random GHA i may need to get one

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Scrape off what you can and hopefully the crew will handle the rest. Dead spots are always possible without multiple heads place in just the right spots.;)

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

my only worry about scraping is that it will spread, funny thing in is that its only on one side of the tank and all of the rocks that have the GHA were all touching each other, maybe ill get another koralia nano next time im at the lfs i have one in my puffers 20 gall and their nice and small

8. Click Here!

9. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

i have thought about getting one, as i now have the room and with this random GHA i may need to get one[/QUOTE]

well it has worked for many reefers I know, so I would get one and they dont even cost very much.

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

well it has worked for many reefers I know, so I would get one and they dont even cost very much.[/QUOTE]
    yea i think they would be just as much as the koralia nano, the k at my lfs was about $30 and i would think the fish would be about the same price, and i heard they eat film algae which with him eating film algae thats a hugeeeeeeeee plus in my book, so maybe i can get down to the lfs on sunday and see if they have one

11. mikeHVAC

mikeHVAC Spaghetti Worm

what about a lettuce nudibranch?

12. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

Well good luck, youve had a rough few days.