GFCI units. Please read.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by PharmrJohn, Aug 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Although most of you probably already know this, I just looked it up and learned something....

I was formally installing my UV sterilizer about a half hour ago. I drilled my holes, mounted the UV unit, attached the hose and went to find that elusive PH that came with the aquarium for this purpose. I found it, sunk it in my sump, plugged it in, looked in the sump, saw no action. I fiddled around with the hoses, did this and that and went back to the power cord. It was out of the socket. I scratched my head, plugged it back in and went back to the sump. I was just about to put my hand back into the water when I noticed sparks coming out of the cord at the base of the unit under water. I unplugged the unit, got it out of there, inspected it, saw a rather obvious break in the cord insulation, swore at it and threw it away.

Now.......I thought, "Wow, the grounding probe saved my @##.". Then I thought, "No way, a fourteen dollar item would in NO way do that much.".

I was right and wrong.

I am right in that a fourteen dollar ground probe is not enough to prevent electrocution.

I am wrong in the price. It is a ten dollar item that can save your hide. It is called a GFCI unit. It is one of those annoying plugs that has the red and black buttons on it. You can get them at Home Depot, Lowes or I imagine any hardware store.

Now I am no electrician. Not by a long shot. But now I know now why they keep those things in the bathroom. Oops, my hair dryer when into the sink. I feel like such an idiot.

I googled the topic and came across an article that outlines the necessity of a GFCI unit along with a ground probe to prevent such disasters.....on each aquarium in the house. I am going out tomorrow in search of one of these.

Now, I don't know if one sparking wire in the water was enough to create a dangerous situation. My fish are alive and thriving. Maybe the wire has to be cut all the way through to make life (or the lack thereof) a bummer. I don't know. But I would suggest that you all take a look at what you got and do a spot check. Thermometers are a big one. If it's old and still working, replace it anyway.

So....once again, that's my two cents worth. Just thought I would pass something along that scared the &^$# out of me.

Later dudes.......and Peace.......John.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    5 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Thanks man. Karma for keeping an eye out for us.

4. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Karma for watching out for yourself and not just sticking you hand in. Not everyone watches everything around them!

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah, I learned the hard way the importance of GCFI plugs. I had a little fire behind my sump because the water ran to the plug and poof...fire. Luckily I was home and there was no major damage...just lost my heater and now that the tank is down I see where the wall got scorched.

Run carbon in your tank just in case you have not already placed it. I added carbon in hopes of catching any soot that got in there. I still ended up having a cycle, but the carbon I am sure helped.

Also, I now preach smoke alarms. Before the fire, I had either disconnected my smoke alarms or I never replaced the battery. Now however, I have them placed throughout the house, and even mounted one above my tank.

Thank goodness you are ok!

6. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

Close call! Glad you're safe