Getting started...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by madison1, Jan 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tonythereefer

tonythereefer Fire Shrimp

+1 on buying from craigslist, I know this is too big for your apartment but just to give you an idea on the deals you can get, I am buying a 125 gallon tank with oak stand for 125 dollars

Thats an absolutely insane deal so definitely check it out in your area you never know what you might find

And like everyone else said take it slow, only bad things happen fast in the saltwater world

2. Click Here!

3. madison1

madison1 Plankton

Okay, thanks...

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Just my .02 again :).....you don't absolutely have to purchase the RODI unit right away -it definitely is a great investment and you definitely want to use only RODI water but you can get this type of water from your fish store - it is a PITA (I'm sure the cursor won't work on that one LOL) lugging buckets.....but if you're limited on funding, and you can get your water from a reputable LFS, then you don't HAVE to have one to start out....

5. madison1

madison1 Plankton

For the record, the cursor did work on that one, LOL! I hear what you're saying, but it makes sense to me to spend that money upfront, rather than buy it eventually after spending money on buying the RODI water at the LFS. (I'm learning my acronyms...see?)

6. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

LOL that is so funny!

7. madison1

madison1 Plankton

*takes a bow*

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

You are going to make a very good reefer :) You are correct. Very good advice.

10. madison1

madison1 Plankton

Here's hoping, and thank you. :)

11. cj22009

cj22009 Astrea Snail

How old is your apartment? If it was built in the last 20 years it should hold a 40 to 75 gallon tank without issue. But like everyone has stated start slow read read read and when you think your done reading read some more lol and the larger the tank the more stable and you don't run into the problem of wanting to upgrade in six months:)

12. madison1

madison1 Plankton

I'm not sure, but I think the building is probably not more than twenty years old. I am reading...and reading...and reading. I can't do much until Uncle Sam coughs up my money any way...