Getting started...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by madison1, Jan 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Don't let that scare you, its just a means to help us guide you, there are $1000 skimmers out there and $10000 lights, so no need to rec something out of your budget. But if $500 is doable, I'd really suggest ya go slow and let it grow.

First as other have said, look used on craiglist. for your $$$ budget, you'll need to spend less than $200 on a tank and lights, ya may be able to find a 55g used for $100 or so with lights, but beware of crap lights and don't pay for them. If you want corals, you'll need to drop $200 on a decent set of lights, very important so heres my breakdown of what ya need to start, minimum.

tank with stand $100-200
    lights $200 ignore this to start and just do a fish only and save up for coral ready lights
    sand and rock about $100 reefrocks.net is the best deal IMO
    salt $40 or so
    powerheads $80
    heater $30
    refractometer $30
    test kits $30 API to start
    skimmer $100

now you need water and a RODI unit
    $150 with DI resin at $15 a pop which will last a few months
    and when you get into corals it gets $$$$$

honestly for your budget, you really need to find a used tank for $200 or so with decent equipment and then buy a RODI unit, and then buy sand and rock, and a RODI unit and go from there, but I hesitate to rec a small tank. a 40G breeder to a 55 g is great to start with unless you can find a good 29G cube

don't shy away, saltwater is great, just be prepped that it does take alot of cash, but if you're patient, you can build a great reef over a few years. I;m testiment to that. 3reef has made it easy.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. madison1

madison1 Plankton

This actually works...great!

I think I may be being too optimistic on costs...but I would still rather go bigger than smaller.

4. madison1

madison1 Plankton

And then I have to figure out what to do with all that stuff... :confused:

LOL! Thanks for the great advice, though!

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I know its alot to take on, but to start you need

a tank

sand

rocks

basic test kit

heater

thermometer

salt

powerheads

buckets

start there, its honestly no harder than a fresh, just a few more $$$$

go FOWLR to start and then start dropping cash into as you feel comfortable

welccome to the addiction

6. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

unless you are VERY strict on your budget you can pretty much count on blowing it;) my original 20G had a budget of $400-$500. I believe in 1 month we spent $1000+.
    Don't be afraid to get used. I just got a new 40B tank and stand on craigslist for $75. Brand new the same would have cost me at least $250, probably more. I recently bought a LED light fixture for $150. The same new= $300. Just make sure to do your research and ask the seller 5 billion questions if you feel the need.

And yes, I finally agree bigger is better. My 20G starter lasted me a whole 4 months before I had to upgrade:p Good luck!

7. madison1

madison1 Plankton

Boy, thanks for that acronym tip, oldfishkeeper...that's going to come in handy. Okay, so no corals for now... :( ...but eventually.

8. Click Here!

9. madison1

madison1 Plankton

Yikes! my budget doesn't have much leeway, although I probably quoted a bit low. What kind of monthly upkeep costs am I looking at then?

10. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

After you have your basic stuff, pretty much nothing for awhile. But its hard to keep yourself in check, its so much fun to get new stuff! And you suddenly discover all sorts of stuff you've never even knew existed lol.

Start checking out craigslist now. Seriously. You can save a lot of money on the basics, and have more play money later.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

you can completly do this in your budget, just realize you'll need to save cash to upgrade the tank over the next year.

get a 55g or 40G breeder with some powerheads and basic equipment for about $200 on craigslist, spend more for higher quality stuff.

RODI unit, sand and salt and you're under $400. But do some research. ya need to drop, IMO, a little more to be succesful.

Drsfostersand smith has free shipping over $50

12. madison1

madison1 Plankton

Thanks...but why will I need to upgrade my tank? For the coral? I'm not sure that I can go much bigger with my living situation...