Getting started...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by madison1, Jan 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. madison1

madison1 Plankton

Okay, I think I might be actually able to afford to start in on this hobby after I get my tax refund this year. Couple of questions, though...

What would be a good size aquarium to start off with? I don't want something really small, but I do have to take cost into account at least to some degree, as well as the fact that I live in a second story apartment. The second point makes me concerned about the amount of weight that the floor will have to be able to handle.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated...

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

don't worry about the weight, worry about the costs. bigger equals more and more maintence costs. honestly the best way to start this out is with how much cash ya got to drop in it, and what do you want? fish, corals, etc.

you're answer can be as little as $200 to $20,000 easy is why I ask;)

4. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Look in Craigslist for good deals on used systems. Wish I had but its been fun building all my stuff

Read, read, read and read!! Take it slow and have fun!

5. madison1

madison1 Plankton

Your quote scares me a bit, LOL! Er...probably about $200-$500 for now, as far as available funds. I would like to get some corals and fish...not too picky on numbers, and I'm guessing less is more when starting out...

6. KCT

KCT Plankton

I was able to get a decent deal from my LFS on a used set up. Never be afraid to haggle on used product, its worth nothing collecting dust.

7. madison1

madison1 Plankton

I read (per your instructions), that one has to be careful about faulty equipment and leaky tanks...is used the way to go, especially when I am already unsure about a lot of things? I would almost rather invest a bit more money to start, and make sure that I have quality equipment, since I have a lack of experience.

8. Click Here!

9. madison1

madison1 Plankton

Sorry...LSF?

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would look at an AIO like a Biocube or Nanocube.

Go slow, plan on limited live stock such as fish.

A more stable tank is a larger tank 75 to 100 gallons for starter. The larger the tank the more stable and more room for error. Also the larger the tank the more money invested.

If you're a patient individual, research potential livestock buys you can do an "All In One" and see if you really want to go big and make the investment.

LFS: Local fish store.

1 person likes this.
  11. madison1

madison1 Plankton

Thanks for the acronym explanation. I just worry that 75 to 100 gallons will be too heavy for my second floor apartment. I have room for it, although I do have to take into consideration where I will place it. I am patient, but I want to get started... :-/

1 person likes this.
  12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Take a look at a used RR system......but obviously check it thoroughly for leaks and such before purchasing. If you have a local reef community, that's a great place to find used systems....It seems a lot of people seem to like a 40 breeder as a good starter, not too small but not too big and pretty common size in the hobby. That's my .02

Oh, and I know I always point this out, but I'm so impressed with this.....if you see an acronym you don't recognize, put your cursor on it and many times it will tell you what it is. This is the only forum I've seen this feature.

2 people like this.