Getting rid of ich, leaving the tank fishless

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by newreef94, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. newreef94

newreef94 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi

been recently having problems with ich, so i want to try something different

I am leaving the tank fishless, but Im confused to how long I should, the internet is saying so many different things??

from 4 weeks- to 9?

Im not treating the tank as i have corals and shrimp, plus cant afford a hospital tank

any suggestions?

russ :confused::confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There have been reports of different strains that required over 8 weeks to completely resolve so I can sure see why 9 weeks would be a safer bet.

When I started this hobby it was 21 days, then 28 days and........

Please review the link below, #10 addresses the time frame.

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

4. turbokimmees

turbokimmees Astrea Snail

I let my tank fish less for good 8weeks .... after all 7 of my fish die of ich... then I started again with simple clown...then fire and then 6line... every thing seem ok for good say 5weeks...then I decided to get the hippo tank... yup hippo... what was I thinking...thought the tank is ich free..but I was wrong.... two days after I added the hippo the ich is on my hippo!! May be I should let my tank fish free for two more weeks.. But then again...Blue Hippo Tang is prone to ich...

5. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

I attempted the whole fallow thing and what not still ended up with some ich in the tank due to cutting a corner to keep fish alive. I see a ich spots here and there but everyone is happy so unless their health is compromised they will just remain in DT.

6. newreef94

newreef94 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

its a bloody night mare!!!!

my mum thinks i should just keep shrimp, sooooo much easyier! saying that my blood shrimp must have had a bad moult and i found the 2 cleaners eating it! so maybe just keep corals, they seem to be loving their new home :)