getting rid of bryopsis

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jfannin, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I know. That's why I said that only "certain" sea hares will eat it.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I found out that not all species are the same and what will affect one will do noting to the other. I had our Magnesium to over 4,000PPM for months dosing magnesium by the Pound or gallons daily almost did nothing and then we tried the German made stuff Algae X like 75.00 a treatment I did 3 treatments in a row did nothing I kept all lights off for months on end and it always came back Then mercifully the tank blew out a bottom seam and I tore it down , Now there is a species that grows in patches like little green fern looking bushy patches if this is what you are fighting ? then there are two ways I found to kill it out. But its got to be the Taxifolia species not the penatta strain .

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Totally agree, I don't know what species I had, but I raised my Mg up high 2000+ and it did nothing. I thought about using the Algae X, but it's expensive and only a few retailers have it. If you have smaller patches, what works really well is covering the bryopsis with epoxy and letting that sit on it for a month or two. Also, if you can remove the rocks it's growing on, then use a mixture of water and bleach and use a Q-tip to apply it to the base of the bryopsis. Make sure to remove what's left before putting the rock back in. These are sure fire ways to get rid of it without taking your tank down. However, I would try the Mg first to see if that helps.

BTW, I've been bryopsis free for nearly 1.5 years.

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

As far as pulling out small patches. Guitarman says he covered small patches with epoxy for a couple weeks and then pulled it off and everything under was dead. I've done something similar and it works without disturbing the algae, which of course can regrow somewhere else.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I used Lettuce Nudibranchs and they chowed down. Once they did their job I passed them to a friend who did the same.

7. jfannin

jfannin Flamingo Tongue

How fast did you all increase your Mg? Did you only increase it by only 100 per day or did you just increase it straight to your desired bryopsis killing point?

8. Click Here!

9. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

did the 100 per day thing
    again, the key is not just raising mg, but doing everything possible to reduce/eliminate potential algae nutrition in the tank AND raise the mag.