getting rid of bryopsis

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jfannin, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jfannin

jfannin Flamingo Tongue

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I appears to be along with aggressive wet skimming, bumping your pH to 8.5 or 8.6 steady, although you will need to get your mag above 1600 and possibly to 2000. Remember to use magnesium sulfate as magnesium chloride did nothing.

4. jfannin

jfannin Flamingo Tongue

I don't remimber reading anything about the skimmer or ph.

5. jfannin

jfannin Flamingo Tongue

I was just told that a Tang would eat it up. Any idea on this?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Only a few critters eat bryopsis (sea slugs and certain sea hares). Tangs do not. You're better off using the suggestions made in the Reef Central thread as that seems to be working well for some folks.

7. pancake

pancake Astrea Snail

I am currently combating bryopsis as well. I currently have my MG lvl raised to 1750. And it is dying although slowly. Also whenever I clean off a rock it does not come back right away like it used to. Has anyone tried api algaefix?

8. Click Here!

9. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

i dealt with bryopsis for quite some time, and won the battle - i was free of algae for a year, and then power outage just killed my 75...

the keys (for me)
    1. correct ALL issues regarding tank pollution - get RO/DI, phosban, fuge ALL going, and get rid of crushed coral substrate.
    2. make sure you're not overfeeding and/or underskimming (check tank size rating on skimmer, it should be much bigger than your tank).
    3. make sure flow inside your tank is GREAT
    4. raise mag level using KENT mag product (seems to be the only one that works for this)
    5. clean/pick algae from the rocks OUTSIDE of your tank, so you export the pest rather than distributing it.

once all this was done, i had no pest algae, and everything in my tank coated up with coralline in a few weeks.

the most important part of this was doing ALL of these things - for quite some time i would try one thing ("ok, let's switch to rodi and see if that helps) and no single intervention made a difference.

whenever things would get off in my tank after this (most commonly my phosban would get old and need to be changed) little bryopsis patches would start to show up again. the difference was then that i could fix the issue, pull out the bryopsis, and it wouldn't come back again.

good luck! it's a PITA....

10. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

i agree use bump your magnesium and ph but an animal that does eat byopsis is a lettuce nudibranch SEA HARES do not they eat GHA. both are hard to keep alive in a aquarium though

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This sea hare does, in fact, eat bryopsis. Unfortunately, they're difficult if not impossible to get a hold of.

The Sea Slug Forum - Dolabella auricularia

12. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

mabe that one does but for most sea hares they eat GHA and not bryopsis also bryopsis looks very similar to GHA so it can be mistaken easily.