Getting live rock from the beach

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Damsels R Cool, Oct 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I believe its illegal to take live rock without a permit from any coastal state (federal protection law).
    If your concerned with price, order base rock.

2. Click Here!

3. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Im jellous why do I have to be traped in the desart and before i was here I lived in NJ and there what is in the ocean GLOWS hehehe

4. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

Just order it from one of the florida aquaculture companies. Several years ago, I ordered about 30-40 lbs from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Last week, I ordered 200 lbs from Gulf View (and received an EXCELLENT deal.) I basically got all the rock I got (very nice pieces) for 2.99/lb.

This stuff is aquacultured. They seed dead areas of the ocean (that the rent from the state of Florida) with rock that becomes live after several years. When you order the rock, you get it a day or two after it was pulled out of the ocean. You get so much life on it (some good, some bad, but the good outweighs the bad, IMO.)

-Clayton

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  5. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

Thank you I will keep that in ming when I upgrade to 200gal

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Being trapped in the desert has little to do with rock availability and price. Your no more in the middle of nowhere than me and I can get LR for 5.99 a pound. What about people in the mid-west? They are even farther out. Try finding a few more local stores to shop at, or order base rock. Be thankful you don't have water usage laws like I do :angry:

7. sessionthree

sessionthree Spaghetti Worm

Oh, to be fair. I should include shipping and box charges. I got 200 lbs of very nice rock and 60 lbs of live sand for $700 + $90 box charges ($10/box) + ~$230 shipping via air cargo (next day). Total was about $1020, so that means I spent about $3.92/lb for the rock and sand by the time all was said and done. Still an excellent deal, IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I dont know I like to purchase things in person. I have neaver orded live stock online. So im at the mercy or local shops.

10. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

i have my lic to and you CAN TAKE CORALS BUT ONLY SOFT CORALS (found this out from several sources)

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Where did you get that info from? Everything that I have read states no corals. I've seen ppl get arrested at the dock b/c they had some corals. I've also seen ppl go to jail and have their truck, trailer and boat siezed and put in storage b/c they had one to many lobsters under sized. Luna

12. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Go with base rock. It's cheap and in 4 months or so you won't know the difference as long as you have some live rock in your tank already