Getting Into Clams

Discussion in 'Clams' started by LCP136, Nov 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

New pics tomorrow...long as my Tang leaves it alone...

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

@Nor_Cal_Guy, huge bummer, darn Tang.

4. nemo723

nemo723 Astrea Snail

I recently purchased a derasa and it has been doing great. When I was deciding which clam to pick out of the bunch I had the LFS employee move the rack they were on so all the clams closed up. Then I watched which ones opened quickest and picked the best one from that group. Worked for me! good luck.

1 person likes this.
  5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I'll go to the LFS and see what they have. I think I'll make a decision based on what healthy clams they have, although I'm inclined to start with derasa. I can always add a crocea later, but if those are more difficult I'll wait for a little more experience before going for one.

6. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I am bummed. After 8 months, he starts to nip. WTF! Nature is what it is. I'm trying to supplement his diet with more algae. Hoping this is just a phase. I don't want to tear down the tank. I have to many SPS that have grown off their plug.

7. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

+1 to Nemo. I do the same thing. It's always good to move your hand over them to see if they shut and open back up quickly. That's how I chose my my clams and they're doing great. I chose crocea's so I could put them on a rock. Niether of them would stay, they both happily stuck their foot down in my sand bed and have been there since. Maybe when I get a maxima it will stay on a rock.lol