Getting 70g setup Friday... Need Help!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by zerocool5878, Apr 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zerocool5878

zerocool5878 Plankton

Ok i just came back from the LFS they told me do not throw out the sand.

Here is my full plan. Im not going to keep driving myself crazy with conflicting opinions so here it goes.

Im going to siphon the water from the tank into 12- 5 gallon pails. I will place rock in the bottom of about 8 of them. the other 4 pails will get the fish. 2 tangs in one pail, a tang and angel in another puffer and damsel in the another and 2 tomato clowns in the 4th pail.

Next I will move the tank with sand intact trying not to disturb it too much.

On the way to my house I am going to stop at the LFS and drop off the 4 pails of fish to them. they are going to pack the fish in bags with oxygen. This will give me more time and maybe reduce their stress level.

Next I am going to go home and set the tank in position. Im then going to clean the glass sides with a sponge and paper towels and get everything hooked up ready to go.

They gave me a piece of food safe plastic to cover the sand with. they said that the only reason that there is problems reusing the sand is that when people replace the water it gets stirred up too much and this mixes with the water.

So next I will cover the sand with the plastic and slowly add the water back in.

I will then go pick up the fish and remaining water they have left over and add that water. Then remove the plastic and place the rock in slowly. Then if there is water missing add fresh salt water to fill it up.

Start up the system and wait at least 1.5hrs and test the water for everything. If everything is ok add the fish two at a time like every 60-90mins. Puffer and damsel first, Then clowns, then 2 tangs, the angel the other tang,

This is the plan. Hopefully everything goes well. I will post pics if not tomorrow then over the weekend.

They said as long as I stick to this the fish should be fine. We will see!

Mike

Ps yes the tank is 48x18x18

2. Click Here!

3. zerocool5878

zerocool5878 Plankton

Ok I just wanted to update this post. I made the move last friday doing exactly what I planned...... It worked out great. Every fish made it! I have been testing the water everyday and all levels are perfect. So it seems that im not going to enter a cycle at all. I will take pics of the tank and fish as soon as I can find my camera....

On a side note my bio cube 29gal that is in a cycle I think is almost done. All the levels are down and the tank is looking really good. Im going to wait 1 more week to make sure but I think im in good shape. Last week i was not sure that it was doing so well as there was alot of brown algae attaching to the glass, and sand but now it seems to be clearing up... The sand still has a bunch of brown areas but the glass looks 100% better. Will the brown go away altogether or will I have to skim the brown off the sand alittle after the cycle?

thanks
    Mike

4. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Get a CUC to take care of the brown. It is diatom (brown algae) essentially organic die-off. You can wipe the stuff off the glass and sift the sand a litttle, but i wouldnt worry about it too much :)

And good luck getting those little devils out if you ever want to. Although...it shouldnt be THAT bad in a 29g. I got a randall's goby out of my 14g with minimal damage (rock moving) in oh, 5min or so.

5. zerocool5878

zerocool5878 Plankton

What is a CUC? Sorry for sounding like such a newbie....

6. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish