Get One, Get some bang for the buck this 4th

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Jun 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

Well hopefully you can help me with these latest varieties john im starting to go mad with all the different types of algae I've had.

Ok the latest problems.

Red turf like algae which seemed to be dormant until late. No new nutrients spikes or anything. Running phosphate and carbon reactors. Chaeto in the sump. tests all zero.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this other nuisance algae. Seems to grow fairly fast sometimes in clumps sometimes solo. No real branches for the most part or feathery ends.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry for the dark pics ive scrubbed it off the rock in the lighter spots.

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

yes its different

sure does shed (i thought i was doing something wrong or something was off when some of it started falling off)

your a pro :cheesy:
    do i get a second try lol or only one go per person?

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

psiclone-
    that red fuzzy algae i bet is one of the ceramium species. the red algae are pretty diverse and without a microscope you aren't going to do better than that, usually referred to as red turf algae, red hair algae in the hobby. It is edible but most things don't like it. It seems to grow much faster in warmer temperatures. Arrow crabs eat it oddly enough, so do some of the larger decorators. How reef safe those critters are though.. snails seem to pick at it, but it certainly isn't a favorite, and it seems to be able to grow really quickly. I recently cleaned a rock of it by sticking it in a holding tank with a few thousand dwarf ceriths. It did the trick, but I am one of the few people who get that privilege. Hard to remove, brushing it in the tank will spread it, out of the tank doesn't seem to always get it all, and just a little bit spreads fast... Temperature I think would play a part in its control.

it could also just be some cyano, it is hard to see from the picture looking at it again, how easily does it rub off with a tooth brush?

second picture I am going with hair algae from what I can see.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  5. johnmaloney

go for it. eventually i will talk you into letting me link the pics in an algae id guide. :)

6. psiclone

Yet another fun algae for my tank to deal with. What do you suggest? The arrow crab?

7. johnmaloney

arrow crabs have their own problems though, you also got to make sure you have one that is still eating algae, most omnivorous crabs go from eating algae at some point in their life to eating a meatier diet. hard call. i edited the post above too by the way. wasnt sure if cyano was ruled out.

8. Click Here!

9. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

well you gave me the thumbs up so im going for it

all i know about this stuff is its kind of vine-ish or so
    and maroonish red

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      132.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      113.8 KB
      Views:
  10. psiclone

yeah. I did have some success with one of your chitons that survived although my clowns ended up pestering him to death. It is not easy to brush off at all. Takes like 2 minutes an inch. And the other picture I don't believe is hair algae. Not slimey and too hard to pull off the rock.

11. johnmaloney

hmm, okay i will look into it more, is it green? that one might get me, i am getting the book now....

red turf algae then. i sometimes think that I overthink ids, but it is that kind of thinking gets me into trouble. :confused: ;D

12. psiclone

Yes its a dark green. Appears to grow in straight lines and about the consistency of fine fishing line. I'd like to order some more chitons but do you think they would make the overnight trip this time? Jason got his overnight with no problems and hes farther out of town than me!