General Coral Factors

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Nov 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I agree with Mojoe about the Iodine, although I do dose Iodine, I have a seasoned tank with almost all soft coral and the tank demands it. Your tank is too new. I have used Instant Ocean for 25 years, it is a good salt mix. Some others may deliver a bit more Cal and Mag but over-all they are all in the relative ball park.

Your tank still has about 4-5 months left to get through the "complete" cycle. I would not start to load it now. Take your time and do your weekly parameter checks and get a feel for keeping the parameters stable. In my opinion, stability is what is overlooked most often in this hobby. Many, for example, will check say Alk and it is 12 DKH so they forget about it for a time and check it in 2-3 weeks and find it is 7-8 DKH and so they dose to get it back to 12 DKH...not good. You don't want wide swings in any parameter. After the tank goes through all the mini-cycles and algae out breaks, then you can add some coral. Also, remember that at the 6-8 month mark your lights may need to be changed (depending on what lighting you have).

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

+1 def, I also use Instant Ocean, gives me what I need with minimal dosing.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

is magnesium a big issue? I was told that magnesium is inside of strontium by kent marine... But it's called strontium, so I really don't get it lol

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

+1 uncle jed, good info post

Mg is critical. Most will advise to keep it around 1350-1400. IME, I find it much easier to keep Ca and Alk stable by keeping my Mg 1400-1500.

I use IO too.

I don't worry about strontium.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

You were misinformed by whom ever told you that, they are separate elements;
    Strontium ([​IMG] /ˈstrɒnʃiəm/ STRON-shee-əm, /ˈstrɒntiəm/ STRON-tee-əm, or /ˈstrɒnʃəm/ STRON-shəm) is a chemical element with the symbol Sr and the atomic number 38. An alkaline earth metal, strontium is a soft silver-white or yellowish metallic element that is highly reactive chemically. The metal turns yellow when exposed to air. It occurs naturally in the minerals celestine and strontianite. The 90Sr isotope is present in radioactive fallout and has a half-life of 28.90 years. Both strontium and strontianite are named after Strontian, a village in Scotland near which the mineral was first discovered.

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well I knew the guy wasn't informed, which is why I didn't buy the strontium. I bet $100 he wanted to just make a sale XD

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

You hate to think that way but probably true. Now, again, I dose Strontium because my tank uses it (a lot of soft coral). You would have to have a seasoned tank (over a year old) and test for both Iodine and Strontium and perhaps Molybdenum to get a window into if your tank required any of these not often dosed elements.

10. jfannin

jfannin Flamingo Tongue

Um nm did want to still you post. I'm about to start a thead you might want to check out.