General Coral Factors

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Nov 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well the title explains it all. If someone could please tell me the ideal conditions for corals I would really appreciate that. Also, Supplements tht are needed would help out a lot too.

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

For a reef you'll want to keep these params, which are what natural sea water tests at/around:

Alkalinity: 8 to 11 dKH -or- 2.86 to 3.89 meq/L
    Calcium: 390 to 450 ppm
    Magnesium: 1350 - 1400 ppm (or 3x Calcium levels)
    Phosphate: 0 or below 0
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 10ppm or below (over that isn't horrible but stay 20ppm and under)

I dose with B-Ionic supplements bi-weekly.

You'll also want to have adequate flow for what type of coral you are keeping & of course, strong lighting depending.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ok I hear you; thanks, and karma to you! I really appreciate this since I'm getting a few corals: a kenya tree, a favia, an acan, some zoas, and a rhodactis mushroom. Really appreciate it; thanks so much!!! ;D

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Stable parameter that do not swing much. More difficult to do in a smaller tank but over time you get it dialed in, every tank is different in this regard.

Established system: Better to start with the easier more forgiving corals, like soft, easy lps. Move on sps once the system has been stable for many months, and has a bio-load on the smaller side. If your having problems keep coralline off the glass then the system may be ready for easy sps.

Stock with corals that will not grow so much that they fight with other corals for space, such as GSP,cloves, xenia, these corals will grow and spread quickly.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Mojoe gave the over-all parameters minus PH (8.2-8.3) and Temp 76-80 degrees. Now, is this an established (8-12 months) tank? If not I wouldn't be adding a lot of expensive coral.

1 person likes this.
  7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thx Unc, I knew I was forgetting something!

8. Click Here!

9. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

Good lighting will really help if your moving toward the coral route.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

It's mainly a few easy corals; I have the lighting, PH at 8.2, temperature at about 77, salinity at 1.025, nitrites at 0, ammonia at 0, and nitrates at about 5 ppm. Now all i need is to get calcium, iodine, and magnesium. it's just a newly set up tank (2-3 months)

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

IMO I wouldnt' worry about the iodine, those levels will be replenished with your basic water changes. Iodine dosing is a debate between many that have reef tanks. I'm on the side that feels it's uneccesary to dose it, as it's very easy to overdose iodine & is uneeded with regular WC's. My reef does great without any iodine dosing. I think things like Lugol's is best used as a dip.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ok thanks man! Since I'm a beginner I don't wanna mess up. I'm using Instant Ocean; I should probably get reef crystals right?