GBTA issues and preventing them?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by nanomania, Feb 24, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

I would keep the current going, but that is just me..... I have heard people turn off all pumps and placing it on a rock the gently surrounding the nem with smaller rock, and they suppose to stay in that spot? I have never tried it.... I acclimate for a hour and place it on the sand.... The nem will move wherever it wants to be... In the first couple weeks/months it will move around.... A healthy nem will attach it self to a rock when it likes the spot..... When looking at nems look at the mouth, foot and color..... I would read up on that and get some understanding, if you don't already know.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

they latch on pretty much instantly if the animal is healthy....

nanomania and cody3819 like this.
  4. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

1) what should be done to prevent it from sucide? - use meshes around your powerheads - http://www.shop-meeresaquaristik.de...guard-for-pumps-and-suction-lines::14139.html. I just keep my powerheads in shaded areas, normally nem will not go there.
    2) what shud be the best placement? - I had luck by placing it on a rock with large holes (normally needs those holes to hide its feet), under power light and strong but not direct flow. Just didnt moved since then. Watch out, too powerful light too soon may bleach nems as easy as a coral.
    3) what if it crawls in the front of the glass, then how to rwmove it? - dont bother it, but if necessary, from glass can be removed easily with something similar with a credit card (hard and sharp, but still gentle enough to not cut the nem - do it slooooowly). If you hurt the nem, will not bleed to death, but any wound may be infected easy and this is the problem.
    4) do i need to feed it or its fine? - if you have good light and feed sometimes your tank with frozen food will see the nem capture his own food. Overfeeding or large pieces of meat can kill it - nems have a simple digestive system and too much food or too large pieces will rot inside it faster then will be digested
    5) can i introduce it in a month old non lit new tank? - NO. Nems need stability and light levels similar with SPS corals. Some may say that even 6 months tanks are not yet ready for nems. Shifts in parameters, salinity and temperature are not well handled by nems. My lives on same rock piece with SPS corals - large flow and high power LEDs few cm above it.
    6) is it ok if i introduce clowns before the nem? - yes. 4 months and my clowns ignore completely the nem. In nature they protect each other. In tanks they dont have predators, so is not even necessary that clowns will host it. There are many stories how to stress and spook the clowns in order to find the refugium in nem, but I think are a bit cruel.
    7) what if it actually commits sucide, will it kill all my fishes and inverts? (45g tank) - nems are actually small. Their size is more water than flesh. I dont think will kill fishes, but small pieces of flesh touching corals due to flow, thats the problem.

5. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Thanks alot.. im from india, so getting such mesh is not possibke, though ill try some diy..i guess i have enough time to add a nem. Well im a vegetarian, so cant feed flesh. but not for my fishes.. ill feed nls everyday and mysis once a week dipped in seachem reef plus..

cody3819 likes this.
  6. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The link to the mesh was just a reference, probably you may get something similar around there. I saw tanks with standard foam sheets wrapped around powerheads - just have to clean them often.

7. nanomania

Will have to find some black sponge, tht wont look bad..

cody3819 likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. nanomania