Garlic!?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by johnmaloney, Sep 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Still no reference to hamsters and the feed is 72% herring fish meal.
    There is only a couple of references to rodents (rats)(about 2 sentences) just comparing to similar tests conducted. The majority of the paper is about fish.

The rest of the paper is about tilapia and then comparing studies done with trout, carp and catfish.

To quote from the paper; 'Allicin treatment seems to be an enhancing effect for antibody activity (14). Microbiology Safety Standards have not been established for fish culture facilities in the United States nor in any other producing country (48) and total bacteria counts or coliforms counts with antibiotic or garlic treatments have never been detected.
    Results of total bacterial count revealed that bacterial load in the aquarium water was
    more affected by Allium sativum diets than by chloramphenicol and control diets'
    Showing that even when fed as part of a diet, garlic affected bacteria and colliforms in the water column.

'Finally, from the obtained results it could be recommended that garlic (Allium
    sativum) may be used as a growth promoter and antibiotic for the treatment orprevention of diseases and for enhancing fish tolerance to environmental stress (62);
    therefore garlic powder should be added to the diets of freshwater fish.'

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

1. Taiwan
    2. Malaysia
    3. Egypt

you actually hit all the worlds! yay!

4. tkeck

tkeck Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

How do you start your own forum??

5. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

I'm confused? :confused::confused::confused:

6. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

Even more confused :confused::confused::confused:

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Taiwan is a first world country, Malaysia is a second world country and Egypt is third world.

It's a silly system, but it is what it is.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i think you mean thread. look for a button that says "NEW THREAD" in a particular category of threads you want to start one in.

At the bottom, might want to subscribe to threads you start so you see when there are updates.

Sorry to continue the hijack :p Back to the discussion please, I am enjoying reading through these articles as I have just based this on what others have said... nice to see some real articles on the subject.

10. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

:) I didnt read the one from Taiwan, so you can't get me there...I though one was from Senegal. The Taiwanese paper seems to be the most persuasive to me, it reads like a journal article.

That one journal still diverts to mammals, mentions chicken byproduct, most of the positive results related to other research on hamsters...I will drop it, I didn't mean to upset anyone when I started the thread.

In the end if you want to keep your fish healthy, QT new arrivals. SInce my first tank I have always QTed and haven;t lost a fish to illness since. Injury yes, (Taurus damsels are evil!), but not illness. It seems there is some evidence that garlic helps, and I stand corrected.

11. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

Egypt may have been a third world country in the past but I would not class it as one now. Here is the wikipedia description of its economy; 'Egypt possesses one of the most developed economies in the Middle East, with sectors such as tourism, agriculture, industry and service at almost equal rates in national production.[citation needed] Consequently, the Egyptian economy is rapidly developing, due in part to legislation aimed at luring investments, coupled with both internal and political stability, along with recent trade and market liberalization.'

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

it reminds me that being second place is first amongst losers... (not saying any place is a loser, just a saying metaphor)... but they're still not first...

You may also look up on wikipedia the description of third world, if you will please. ;)

It's more than economics. It's also a social, political and military alliance way of thinking... Egypt is third world. I commend their growing economy. However, this is quickly going to go political, so I am withdrawing from this derailment.

***Please note, I am not saying anything with regard to the classifications of developed and undeveloped countries - of which your counter would fit perfectly. Egypt is a developing country. No question about that. They are growing quickly.