Garlic!?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by johnmaloney, Sep 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdaddyreefer

bigdaddyreefer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

"Garlic enhances immune functions and has antibacterial, antifungal and antivirus activities. . ."

Biological properties of garlic and garlic-derived...[Environ Mol Mutagen. 2009] - PubMed Result

And another article regarding garlic's antioxidative properties...

Antioxidative and Antigenotoxic Effects of Garlic ...[Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2009] - PubMed Result

Granted, these articles are focusing on the effects garlic has on humans, but it wouldn't be a huge leap to say that garlic probably does beneficiary things for fish as well.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't have an account w/the first one and couldn't find the myths link for the second... I would like to skim through these too :confused::-/

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

there it is, go to info links and then myths...

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

6. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    HAMSTERS? this is a fish paper, there is no reference to hamsters! Did you even read the paper?
    The feed was 66% protein made from fish meal brought from a local market, no poultry byproduct used. In the discussion it mentions about a study done on chickens and how they increased in weight whereas the study done with tilapia saw no weight increase.
    This study was conducted using tilapia as a test organism, the paper does not say that tilapia farmers use garlic at all. I know for a fact that tilapia farmers would not use reef garlic products to treat there fish they would use cheaper industrial treatments. Therefore garlic additives for the tilapia industry would not be cost effective compared to a mass produced antibacterial/antifungal product.
    The overall conclusion from the paper was that garlic aided the immune system.
    This was the concluding remark but this test in question showed an increase in carbohydrate metabolism but as with science more tests would need to be done to be more conclusive.

7. johnmaloney

HAMSTERS? this is a fish paper, there is no reference to hamsters! Did you even read the paper?

- sorry wrong paper, will track down the one referring to mammals, it was in there. garlic is cheap as can be...much cheaper than the proper medicine, which is the interest for its use in aquaculture...

{edit - i guess i had a different window open and was reading a different article. my sincere apologies)

This was the concluding remark but this test in question showed an increase in carbohydrate metabolism but as with science more tests would need to be done to be more conclusive.

-the liver defects had positive data, it seems the the immune response needed more data.

most of the papers also disagree with each other. Some say .1 is good and less does nothing, the others say .05 is good and more has a negative impact...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

Your last statement is very offensive. The papers I have listed do not come from 3rd world countries. The papers I have listed are from Egypt, Taiwan and Malaysia. The papers will have been completely academic, funded by companies or universities with a serious agenda. They are just looking for natural alternatives to mass produced chemicals provided by the so called industrial states.

IMO anything that is more natural is better than lab synthesized chemcals.
    3rd world countries do not fund these kind of projects.

10. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

I'm glad you have edited your last post...

11. johnmaloney

i also editied my first...you are making me come around. :) I have gone from "does nothing" to :might do something after all" :)

I was reading this article when I thought it was the article you linked too. You have to admit they look the same in a browser:
    http://www.scielo.br/pdf/jvatitd/v12n2/v12n2a03.pdf

12. johnmaloney