garlic

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by convict3, Feb 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. convict3

convict3 Astrea Snail

do u all just use the normal minced garlic from the grocery store to mix with your diy fish food

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I use Garlic Xtreme,, and LFS that sells saltwater fish/corals should have it.

As far as doing it yourself I have not done it(thought about it though).

Maybe one of the other 3reefers will jump in here.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have done the minced garlic and have purchased cloves to mince myself.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have used garlic extreme and the grocery store minced garlic. I prefer garlic extreme, it is much easier to use and I believe more effective.

6. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

I've been using good old McCormicks Garlic Juice in the spice section for over 8 years with good luck. Much cheaper and works like a dream!

At least once a week I soak all food in it (if it's not home made food which I included it already in recipe).

7. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but why use garlic? Is it just to entice the fish to eat or does it have medicinal qualities?

8. Click Here!

9. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I've tried using it before (I minced my own with fresh garlic and soaked the food in it) but the fish with the "issue" didn't even want anything to do with the garlic. I started to research garlic in the fish tanks and found that it has NEVER been proven to benefit the fish in any way... So I don't mess with it anymore.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Garlic has been in the hobby for many years used primarily as parasite prevention - Ich and other parasites dont like the taste and thus fish fed with garlic enhanced foods are less prone to parasitic outbreaks

I used Kents garlic guard many years ago and believe my regal tang ( I think the name Hippo applies now - its a Dory from the Nemo film) was cured of a mild dose of spot due to frequent feedings which where garlic treated