Garlic = Bad for fish liver?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by sticksmith23, Nov 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Ok, I have been reading around. I'm still really confused now. It seems like some people say that their fish do great on garlic and other that come from a scientific background just throw out a lot of jargon about the issue. They don't really make a clear point for us simple minded people that don't want to use a dictionary for every third word lol. I don't know if I'm supposed to post a link to another forum, but there is some good info in here if you can extract it alright:

Garlic the truth about it - Marine Fish Uk - Home

If I am wrong for posting this link, just PM me and I will simply remove it.

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

@Sticksmith: I've be doing a lot of research into the use of garlic and exactly why it is used. I found many conflicting opinions. But the ones I personally listen to are the ones who seem to have done their home work. In depth! Personally I have no experience with using garlic for anything except spaghetti and for keeping the U.P. skeeters from finding me :) 35yrs in the hobby and have never fed garlic, no kidding! lol
    Here is a link to another forum on the subject of garlic use on marine fishes. It's a good solid read IMO :) GarlicFAQs
    If I bunched up anyone's panties by my comment that to much garlic is not good for your fish, well feel free to straighten them out. It was not my intention :)

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I don't think that anybody is offended. ;D I just found the subject very interesting is all and found it warranted a new thread lol. I appreciate your research and like you, I have never fed garlic either. I was thinking about it though.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Here is a quote from an article that I found very interesting:

"Treatment Option 13: Garlic

Garlic is another of the alternative treatments for Cryptocaryon to be touted lately. I have read of many people reporting using it "successfully" as a preventative. The difficult part in assessing these reports is whether the fish would have developed Cryptocaryon in the first place. And, when someone claims it to be a "cure," how can they definitively rule out natural, acquired immunity or even confusion over Cryptocaryon's life cycle.

At the very least, garlic does have some proven anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic, and antiviral properties (Bartelme, 2003 and and Cortes-Jorge, 2001). I included it here because this treatment has shown enough promise to warrant further scientific evaluation. Unfortunately for us, all the real money in this industry is directed to commercial food fish, not our ornamentals. With other effective and inexpensive treatments available, I don't know if grant money will ever be directed into finding out if this alternative treatment conclusively works. Perhaps we could convince the fine marketing people at Mrs. Gordon's that they should try a pre-flavored version of their famous fish sticks by feeding the fish garlic. I can just hear the ad now, "A hint of garlic in every bite."

My biggest problem with the use of garlic is the mythology that has developed regarding it. This all began quite simply and innocently. Kelly Jedlicki was studying the use of garlic as an intestinal dewormer. For those who don't know who Kelly is, she is affectionately referred to as the "Puffer Queen" as they are her favorite fishes and oftentimes are brought into the trade polluted with various worms. As I said, she was examining the effectiveness of garlic against nematodes and cestodes on impacted puffers when she noticed a general decrease in Cryptocaryon irritans incidence. Later on, she proposed feeding garlic to fish as a preventative for Cryptocaryon irritans. From there the legend of garlic has spread. Feeding garlic to fish is now an accepted cure for Marine Ich by some individuals. Furthermore, I have read of people merely hanging cloves of garlic in their tank in an effort to ward off the parasites, like some sort of bad vampire movie. And lastly, I have recently heard of a surprising number of hobbyists who soak their corals' food in garlic in an effort to combat possible pathogens when target feeding them. It goes to show that garlic has become an all-purpose wonder drug in some peoples' eyes based on little more than anecdotal observations."

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Attached Files:

• sp2.gif
      sp2.gif
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

New Life Spectrum has a lot of information about fish nutrition on their website as well. Here is a statement from their website about their foods:

"All New Life Spectrum® products also contain a generous inclusion rate of Garlic (Allium Sativum) with the Thera-A formulas containing a mega-dose of this natural anti-parasitic ingredient."

New Life International Inc- Fish Food, Books, Aquaculture and more! - Fish Food

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I found this one also. Good info for sure. :)

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

It seems the more I read about this, the more of a divide there is against people doing research and hobbyist actually adding garlic to their food. I have yet to read where anybody posted "Garlic killed my fish" lol. It seems like people have really good results with Garlic. I haven't read anything yet that says either way if garlic is beneficial or not. Still looking though lol.

11. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I FOUND YOU! jk. Garlic is great, I feed all my fish (fresh and salt) newlife spectrum which is enriched with garlic, never had any problems

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Lets not forget, even in the study conclusion the author said they used a large dose (2g per kg) every other day and point the negative effects on the liver and kidney to this high dosage amount. To me what this study points out is the need to use things in moderation.