Galaxea Fragging 101

Discussion in 'Frags' started by mikejrice, Oct 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Methodology:

The method I use for fragging the majority of hard corals is primarily the same with the cutting tooling being an Inland band saw.

Cooling liquid used is fresh mixed saltwater with enough iodine to color it a light amber. This helps to disinfect cuts as they're made which has shown to greatly increase frag survival.

All corals are stored during cutting in a small bucket holding water taken directly from their home aquarium. This water is used both to keep them wet as well as for rinsing any flesh away from cuts while I'm working on them.

All finished, and rinsed, frags or trimmed colonies are soaked in Brightwell Aquatics Restor dip to insure that minimal flesh is lost.

Both soak buckets are rinsed and replenished between colonies to reduce the risk of interactions between loose flesh of different coral species.

Notes about Galaxea:

Galaxea is one of the easiest hard corals to frag due to the fact that it easily bounces back whether coralite boundaries are followed or not. For this reason, I like to cut colonies of galaxea into a grid of small squares.

As with most encrusting LPS corals, galaxea will exhibit growth more quickly if frags are cut as thin as possible. To do this I cut all frags down parallel to the living surface of the animal. While doing this, it's important not to cut into the portion of the skeleton that has color due to living flesh.
    [​IMG]
    Note the green color the skeleton takes on near the living surface.

Galaxea is also extremely easy to cut with a dremel, tile saw or even hammer and chisel.

Cuts are sped up 8x

If there's a specific species of coral that you would like to see cut up, feel free to comment in this thread or send me a PM.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Another great how to do for those of us that might be apprehensive. Again you make it looks so easy. Thanks for the demonstration.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, I really enjoy the visuals of the "how to's" Nice job and always love your music! :)

5. mikejrice

Anyone have a big colony of galaxea that's grown out in their tank?

Attached Files:

6. mikejrice

[​IMG]

Attached Files: