Gahh!! Major vodka overdose!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Likeajeenyus, Feb 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

....pic

Attached Files:

• t6.jpg
      t6.jpg
      File size:
      350.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

have you run some carbon?

4. Likeajeenyus

Im running I believe 1/2 cup per gallon in a reactor its alomst a month old. Im going to replace it on tuesday when my marinedepot order comes in. I might add a little extra.

5. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Still curious about the benefit of using Alcohal in the tank!

6. Likeajeenyus

Your going to have to research Vodka dosing.

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Im really sorry this happened and I know I'm of no help but I just wanted to share my opinion.

I live by the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) rule. In regards to nitrate removal, I prefer to go with a more natural route, with either a refugium of macro algae, or my personal favorite, an algae turf scrubber. You never hear people overdosing chaeto do you? Even bio pellet reactors can crash tanks. And when we spend $1000's on livestock alone, I dont want to worry about the risks.

Once again I'm sorry this happened to you and I know this advice wont help you now, but I wrote it hoping it might help some one in the future.

8. Click Here!

9. Likeajeenyus

It all depends. I started out the "kiss" route, but I wanted more "automated system" as I'm gone for 3-4 days at a time when I work. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I got a major cyano then GHA outbreak.

I never had an overstocked tank, used ro/di water, top salt mixes, have led lights, have a large refugium with micro algae, did 20%, water changes, I fed every 3 days, had a good skimmer, great flow, had a dsb, and had plenty of LR.

My water parameters were perfect. And tested regularly and had my LFS confirm it.

Why did I get this outbreak?? I started out manual removal. Wasn't working. I added more snails and urchins. Just too much. Next, I set up a bio pellet reactor and ran GFO. After a month and a half the water looked even more nasty after a bacteria bloom even though I was running only HALF the recommended amount. Plus bio pellots are expensive especially for my size tank. So I ditched it and started vodka dosing which should do the same as the bio reactor at a fraction of the cost. I know this was a long term investment.

My GHA was so bad it Overgrew my chato and kille it.

Next I built an algae scrubber ad it's doin great right now.

At this point I tore down my tank, replaced the substrate, and scrubbed my LR and let it dry for three days instead of the baking process.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

you tore down the tank after you added the ATS? just curious....

11. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

just know that if the rock is dry it is now dead rock, and must be cycled before placed back in the aquarium or it will cause an ammonia spike.

12. Likeajeenyus

It was all at the same time. The ATS is doing great after 2 weeks.