FW for the Kids! Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by AHP, Jun 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

Well over the weekend I had time to work on the stand, I almost finished it... BUT I didn't get to attach to bi-folding doors on the stand. Hopefully by next weekend I will have the doors on and painted so everyone can see the finished product.

My question:
    I was wondering what does everyone use (brand & type) of wood sealant for accidental flooding on bottom of the stand. Does anyone have a product that they prefer?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You should be able to park a truck on the stand it is so well built. I would look into Marine grade sealants for the bottom of the stand. Maybe use fiberglass to create a pan.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Looking very good ahp (a reefer in fresh clothing). Are the kids getting excited yet?

5. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

My son is loving it so far… and me too. I think I have found him sitting in the bottom of the stand about 3 times watching me build the doors and trim. Last night he told me a story about how fish swim.

I found out that we got a new fish store around my area and I am going to take him to that when we get some free time. This will allow me to do some recon work and get to know the owner. Hopefully he/she is a good person that is not looking to up sale everything.

On another note I ended up buying a used Eheim 2217 canister. I am going to have to give it a good cleaning because it looks like it wasn't cleaned that often. My question, I know that I want to save some of the media but how should I clean the rest of the canister? (Tubing & Inside) It has been sitting in my garage for about a week with no water going through it.

Also I need to get a RO/DI unit and I am thinking about getting this one.
    BRS 4 Stage Value PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

That RO/DI will work just fine! Plus it has a pressure gauge and dual TDS meter already built in :) You may want to consider adding the drinking water kit as well depending on your water source.

7. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

We have hard water down here in Houston, TX so I will look into the drinking water kit.

8. Click Here!

9. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

O yea!
    Paint is coming in today so I should have the doors finished and I might take a teaser picture before the painting.

10. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

Paint was put off until Friday.... Sale on paint 30% cheaper this Friday.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can clean the canister without any detergents without worries. You can buy brushes designed for the work at LFS and pet stores.

1 person likes this.
  12. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

O great! I didn't know if I need to use bleach or soap and water, then clean it out thoroughly.