FW for the Kids! Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by AHP, Jun 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

Side stepping from lights... Why would I drill my tank? I don't have a need to build a wet/dry sump and the canister I posted has more than enough filtration for a 75g.
    Now if I was going SW of course I would drill my tank and create a sump/refugium but this is a FW build.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

here's a bump for your thread since a planted tank does have its own unique needs. 2 in 10 on here is an expert on this. You can PM him or maybe he'll see your thread.

4. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

Thanks I will shoot him a PM

5. alvintran

alvintran Plankton

Hey, welcome!
    I love the look of planted tanks, and the look of fancy goldfish. But those two don't do well together since goldfish may destroy your plants. But many have successfully kept goldfish in planted tanks without issues, (kind of like dwarf angels with corals, you never know). With that said, I love fancy goldfish and would rather do a goldfish specific tank than a regular tropical freshwater tank. So here's a run down of goldfish if you're interested.
    Goldfish: there are many different types of goldfish, and some very beautiful kinds at that. You can look at goldfish importer sites and breeders at dandyorandas.com and raingarden.us since they have gorgeous fish selection.
    Fancy goldfish (double tailed kind) needs on average 15-20 gallon per fish, they usually get up to 8 inches excluding tail. And 30-40 gallon per fish for common (single-tailed goldfish), and they usually get up to 12 inches excluding tail. You shouldn't keep fancy and common goldfish together in the same tank since common goldfish are much faster than fancy, and will outcompete them for food. They like small substrates or barebottom tanks since gravel may get stuck if they try to swallow one. They also are cold water fish so they should be in species specific tank.
    Filtration: goldfish are MESSY and BIG eaters so they need at least 10x tank volume per hour if you use HOB filters and around 7x for canisters.
    Goldfish are very fun and easy fish to keep if it's done right, they are very beautiful to look at compared to other fw fish, and is great for your kids to enjoy for a long time since they live long.
    But please don't buy goldfish to cycle your tank since it is inhumane and bad for the fish.
    If you have any questions regarding goldfish, please ask me since I'm kind of a goldfish expert ;).
    Note: Do not keep common pleco in a goldfish tank because they will suck on the slime coat of the goldfish and damage or even kill the fish.

6. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

You'll end up switching soon enough, trust me lol. That and you can just use a filter sock that's easily changeable as those canisters usually get pretty nasty and annoying.

7. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

You are probable right! Haha. I do love the look and action of SW but i wanted to ease myself in.
    So right now i am looking at buildmyled and kessil's. both fairly cheap and have a good resell rate, now if i make a move to SW in the future i could use them for QT tank.

I have read some good and bad reviews to both. I also talked via email to Nick from buildmyled as to what configuration would be good for my

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

Buying LED's for QT tanks? Hmmm.....I think there might be a method to this madness ;)

10. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

I wouldn't be buying it directly for a QT it would be just something that I had laying around. But you are right Madness is what that would be.

11. oldfishkeeper

HA! I knew it! well, look at these lights just laying around......

12. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

By the way thank you for pointing me toward 2in10, he is very helpful.

Here is an idea that I was kicking around for plants and fish because basically I have to know that to deterimine my lighting.

Plants: I was thinking about put 3-4 in the tank maybe more.
    - 1 Cyperus Plant
    - 1 Amazon Sword Plant
    - 1 Ludwigia - Broad
    - Open to options

I just looked up some and thought they looked nice, that is my only base.

Fish: I was thinking about:
    - 1 Trinidad Pleco
    - I really like schooling fish (neon tetras, Angles, barbs)
    - Open to options

Here is something that I am reading about buildmyled FW lights
    New 5000K Planted Tank Spectrum | Build My LED - Lighting Discussion Forum