FW Apple snail NO shell

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Sco-tie, Jan 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sco-tie

Sco-tie Bristle Worm

i have a FW apple snail and its shell has slowly being dissolving over time and today i found that it has completly lost its shell the shell is fully intact and the snail is still moving around like nothings happened. kinda seems like it is trying to be a hermit crab. anyone had anything like this happen. will its shell grow back?
    all params are fine and i have been dosing calcium prior

2. Click Here!

3. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

From everything I read about snails losing their shells usually means they are dead or going to die. Snails don't do the hermit thing usually if they are out of their shell it's because they have torn the attaching tendon/cartalege and will spin out of the shell by accident. Since the shell is with them from birth and grows from the rim back they cannot grow another. Sometimes this happens when they get lodged/stuck or overturned and cannot right themselves or when owner tries to twist them off of glass or rocks.;)

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

That is weird.

I keep apple snails as food for my frog. After the frog eats them, there is an empty shell. Those shells are slowly dissolving, but I can't imagine that happening while the snail is still hosting it.

5. Sco-tie

Sco-tie Bristle Worm

yeah its pretty weird the snail is still cruising around eating as usual it just looks weird its only in a tank with neons so who know it may survive happily without a shell as it doesnt have anything picking at it

6. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Weird but gl mabe u have a mutant snail lol