Fuzzy dwarf lion/coral health

Discussion in 'Coral' started by kstafford003, Feb 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

So I added this little guy to the tank about a week and half ago. Aside from the apparent need to make sure waste isn't building up in the tank should I be worrying about his behavior around the corals? He likes to perch on the rocks in between swims. He spends the daylight hours usually in one place perched on a rock but during the dusk hours he is swimming around hunting for pods. He will perch on corals for a short time as he moves around the tank. Do you think he will be able to stress the corals to a point of death? I would think fish perch on corals all the time in the wild but I have no experience with this.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. kstafford003

I just did some research and think he is actually a she lol.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Monitor your corals. If they seem to not be extending their polyps of if you see damage or necrosis, you might have a likely candidate.

kstafford003 likes this.
  5. kstafford003

Thanks just wondering if anyone had experience.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I look at it this way, a Dwarf Lion Fish does perch on corals in the wild, but not the same coral over and over again. Repeated perching might to the same coral might be like Angel Fish nipping, in the wild it does not really mater, in an enclosed system the same coral is getting the brunt of the behavior and may become stressed. Guess we will see, and it depends a lot on the coral.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  7. kstafford003

Cool, thanks. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the coral. This is a smaller tank so I may end up having to rehome her when she gets bigger and starts iritating the corals.