Fuge setup journal

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by diverdan, Nov 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I was thinking the same thing but am not 100% enough to say it is or not. I am doing the same thing and talking pics at the same time with the same light on. Only time will tell. Good observation OFK. I'm right there with you. Just not positive yet.

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

Day 5
    More growth. Not sure if the tank GHA is lightning up due to the scrubber but things are happening.

Day 5 tank
    [​IMG]
    Day 5 screen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back side of screen
    [​IMG]
    Day 5 cheato
    [​IMG]

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I"m sure ATS work well also.

My chaeto mass on my 125g system consists of about what you could 'stuff' into 4 gallon containers- probably more than that even. A lot of chaeto has always worked well for me.
    In fact, once I traded a bunch to the Lfs and gave a bunch away at the same time, and was only left with a smaller amount, and I had negative results. NOw that I've let it get 'massive again' things are well again, less algae in the sump too.
    Good luck there with the ATS my friend, keep the journal going.

5. diverdan

Yea I have a fuge with tons of cheato in my dt upstairs. Never had issues. Just wante to do a little experiment.
    Thanks for your input Todd. Your tank is amazing and I'm glad it bounced back after your harvest.
    I will keep it going the best I can. Thank you.

6. diverdan

Day 6

Seeing some more growth. The GHA in the tank seems like its not hanging into the glass as much. Much easier to just wipe off. The couple corals I have in there are still doing good. Just have to keep the GHA off the actual plugs and rocks and there is no issues.

Day 6 tank
    [​IMG]

Day 6 scrubber screen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 6 cheato
    [​IMG]

7. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Can I ask what you do with your cheato when it gets too much ? And what is too much ? I bought a small clump and thought that it would probably grow in size over time. In 3 months I am totally over grown, I have popped big clumps in my DT and the fish seem to love it, but is this the right wayto thin it out ? A friend of mine says sell it ?

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

I wouldn't introduce it to the dt. Won't hurt. Just personal opinion. I've seen locals give it away to local reefers. Some lfs will buy it. I prefer to give it away. Too much is when there is no more room in your sump.

10. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Looks like the ATS is already working well. Definitely one of the most under utilized methods of nutrient control. Will be following along!

11. diverdan

Thanks Jake. It does seem to be working. In such a short time as well. Didn't realize how fast these actually started to work.

12. diverdan

Day 7 this is from last night.

Day 7 tank
    [​IMG]
    Day 7 screen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Day 7 cheato
    [​IMG]
    I have to clean the screen today. Will update with photos tonight.