fuge first??

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by IceDragon, Apr 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Looks like Lego-Fuge....I could do the whole inside of the fuge with Lego blocks!!! ;D

Yeah..that way I could use glass and not have to drill it. I'll have to think about this 'cause I will be using the top-off and I might not need the the gap in the middle of the walls. The problem is I will not be able to change it very easily once in place, so I have to go one way or the other.

Nautilus has convinced me that the auto-top off is the way to ensure water level stability, in case I boot it for a day, and forget to top off.

Say Dave, if you read this, do you think there is a difference in the life expectancy of float valves, depending on the manufacturer? Or do you think that they are all pretty much the same?

I just sort of threw that plenum thing in there...too complicated. A 4" DSB....much better!! ;)

I cleaned up that diagram I posted and put it at:

http://www.podzilla.us/drewsfugue.html

If anybody wants to copy it, I'll leave it up there.
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]​

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

LOL a lego fug, good idea that. I've actually seen that one ( I know the man who wrote that article ) and it worked really well as the calerpa hangs on extremely well to the structure.

Regardless of the top up issue I would still have a little bit of movement through the fug and not just over the top JMHO. Remember that you really don't have to make the glass panels for the fug permanent, it would be very easy to make it so you can slide them out.

John

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

These cheapo ones I use seem to last about 10 months to a year. I have seen some really expensive ones and they look like they were made from the same factory as mine.

The salt water leaves a residue on the inside of the float shaft after awhile and this makes it hard to it to work correctly.

5. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

[quote author=JohnO link=board=Refugium;num=1082238478;start=30#41 date=06/07/04 at 00:22:47]
    Remember that you really don't have to make the glass panels for the fug permanent, it would be very easy to make it so you can slide them out.
    John
    [/quote]

:D

I could use that plastic u-channel easily, couldn't I? That would be good for clean up. It doesn't have to be any stronger than that. And then with the idea of a panel in between the now 2 piece wall going into the return, little critters would be thwarted from throwing them selves into the whirling dervish of the pump and committing Hari-Kari by rotor.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

What would you think about a half inch gap instead of a whole inch?

Also, for detail, would you put the gap in the sump side baffle, the 3[sup]rd[/sup] baffle and the wall into the return area?

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I would just make the gap half inch as you suggested and then fine tune from there.

Certainly use the same method on both panels.

Actually, as you haven't made the baffles/panels as yet why not just use acrylic ( or some other sort of plastic )?

John :)

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I'm a little confused... :-/. You said both walls, I was asking as to baffles 1 and 3 between the sump and the 'fuge and also the wall between the 'fuge and the return area. Do all 3 of these need the flow through capacity...(I assume yes)?

I have decided on the Lexan material for these pieces. (easy and cheap). There is still a question in my mind about the silicone. The concensus here, (according to the "What type of sealant" thread by Birdlady) is that GE silicone II (100% rubber silicone) is okay for aquariums. Do we absolutely know this to be true? Are some of the companies out here selling this other silicone labeled for aquariums... http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19355;category_id=1537
    just out for the cash? Or is there a strength or toxicity difference??  [smiley=book2.gif]

I just want to be careful...I know about the curing for 48 hours and the additives etc. Thank you for all the good ideas and info.... ;)  

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I used the GE silicone with no problem.

I just drilled each panel/wall of the refugium and nothing else.

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Thanks, Craig...I just was having a problem visualizing the water circulating through the refugium...

Heck, I can get that silicone down the street for minimal $...lovely HD! ;)