Fsih dying, help please (emergency)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dirtysven, May 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

again, I do want to apologize for my posts earlier in this thread.....having some serious health issues in my family and just placed someone dear to me in hospice that day. If you read my posts, you will see that I normally do not post that way and again i am sorry

2. Click Here!

3. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

its cool man, apology accepted. I did the transfer today and it took 7 hours (by myself). I have to do a new layout for the return line and the overflow line as well which is why it too so long probably.

I had to use alooooot of containers to transfer all the water and get some new rodo water while I was doing the change, I place all of the CUC, snails and anemones in a bucket with a powerhead and a heater. I also try to wash the new gravel but as much as I did it the water is a little murky still. Salinity and temp are good, SG is .024 and temp is 79.

I also used some water from the 55 DT and did a small wc for the qt, but realized that the ammonia was alittle high and with the wc it didnt come down alot, so will do anothe wc tomorrow to bring ammonia to 0.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

was it the 90g that has some ammonia. I personally would not worry about it.........let it cycle out. If it is the smaller tank, then yeah keep doing water changes. What do you still have in the 50g? Corals and cuc?

5. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

the 90 dont have any ammonia, the QT did. Will do another wc tomorrow to bring it to 0. The 90 has a CUC and some shrooms and 2 anemones in it.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

oh yeah, ok. Definately keep doing water changes in the QT. Is the copper still in the QT? Is there a piece of rock or something that you wouldnt mind sacraficing to the copper lords and place it in the QT? I think it will help keep your ammonia down better.

When I had my QT tank (again I dont use copper.....so it is going to be different) I kept a sponge in my sump of my DT when I wasnt using the QT. That way when I needed to, I could just throw the sponge into the QT and it would be full of biological filtration.

7. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

like a scrubbing sponge? wouldn't the sponge transfer the copper to the main DT?? I havent tested for copper today will do tomorrow when I do the wc. Also I was at the lfs yesterday and the owner said to me to only dose copper once. Is that right? I thought I had to keep copper constant for about a month, Im confused about the treatment. Was he right or what?

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

no, sponge from a filter or something.

But yeah, if you still have copper then you do not want to do that. Other option is just keep smaller sponge or pads in your sump and then just transfer to QT. Then you can trash the pad/sponge.

as far as that way to dose copper........it will ensure that you dont overdose copper but IMO is not going to do what you want it to do. In order for copper to be effective it needs to be testing between 1.5-2.0. A lot of LFS will dose copper in their tanks and will run low level copper at all times. I bet that is what they are doing.

What is your SG at? Remember even readings below 1.5 will be toxic to fish in hyposalinity. And you need to test both copper and SG prior to dosing copper as it can be toxic very fast

10. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

Oh ok, I actually did that with some filter pad I bought, I placed it in my sump for a couple of day and yesterday when I did the wc I replaced it with the old pad.
    The last time I measured copper it was at 2.5-3.0. I'm sure it has lowered since then, but what I was asking was if I need to keep dosing or that one time was ok? I guess what I should as is if I need to keep dosing till I finish the bottle of coppersafe keeping the amount of copper in the qt constant. As far as salinity, the qt is not in hypo salinity.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

no dont dose anymore, you are toxic at that level. I would shoot for the 1.5 and below level. You need to get the level down pretty quickly if it is still 3.0. Unfortunately that can cause some serious issues iwth the fish, if not now then in the long run

as far as the frequency etc, as I dont dose copper I can not tell you for sure (again I go with remove the copper all together with the cupersorb and polyfilter) but regardless of what you do you need to test prior to dosing anything in this hobby. That goes for copper, alk, ca, mag etc. Plus i always start dosing at half strength at first and gradually build up. Even with GFO and carbon i start half dose

what is your SG at? I thought it was 1.016 a couple days ago?

Maybe someone else can chime in with the copper

12. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

I've been measuring copper every time I do wc and the instructions on the bottle said to keet it no higher than 3, that's why I tried to maintain it there. Im trying to get rid of it completely. Also the sg was at .016 but been bringing it up with wc's. I noticed the tang not eating the sea weed as much could it be because of the copper being at 2.5-3?