Fsih dying, help please (emergency)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dirtysven, May 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

.016 is insanely low.

The salinity must be a constant .025-.026. Any fluctuation of even .02 is not good at all....

Forget about copper, just make sure your salinity is perfect.

I have a 40g breeder and I never once tested for copper, calcium, magnesium, etc. The system is over a year old and everything from invertebrates to coral are healthy.

2. Click Here!

3. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

The copper is in the qt tank not the main tank

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Copper and hypo salinity are not to be used together.

5. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

I was told that, in trying to bring the salinity back up every time I do wc in the qt. I didnt know, bad on my part

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

remove the copper from your tank immediatly. Go to the store right now and get cuprisorb and remove all traces of copper. copper and hypo is lethel
    While you are at the LFS keep you wallet in your pocket and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE ALIVE!

Seachem. CupriSorb

I would also pick up a polyfilter
    Poly Bio Marine: The Poly Filter

then leave you hands out of the tank.......dont treat with anything else. How much water changes are you doing and how fast are you raising the SG? Yesterday it was 1.020 now 1.016 that is a dramatic drop and is now a lethel level. Did you misread the reading yesterday or did you try to lower it more?

i personally would not raise the SG up any more. Again, those fish have been through SO MUCH THAT I CAN NOT BELIEVE THEY ARE STILL ALIVE. I am sorry but they are alive despite you!

Remove the copper and then leave the tank alone! Remember though that tank will always have copper in it along with any rock etc in there. The silicone and rocks etc will continue to leach out copper for a long time after it is removed and you will never be able to keep corals or inverts in there

7. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

Let me see if I got this right, buy the 2 products and take the copper out the tank? I raised the sh by one point today whe I did a wc to get rid of the ammonia. You making me feel soo bad mad, I didn't do all this on purpose you know! My Intension wasn't to harm the fish but to prevent them from dying.... It just happened that I made the wrong choice but believe me, won't happen again

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i apologize that i came across so rudely. But yeah you need to pull the copper out of the tank as you sg is so low. Copper and hyposalinity is very, very toxic to fish.

I feel if you raise the SG at this point, it is just one more variable to stress the fish more. So what is the next option? Remove the copper from the system. This is the least stressful possibilty in this situation.

Copper when used properly has many risks. I personally will never use it again. I used it when I did some maintance on a guys tank against my better judgement (as the LFS owner instructed me to do) and it didnt really do anything, so the guy did basically what you did, drop the salinity and double dosed the copper. Needless to say he killed everything (he had thousands of dollars worth of show fish)

Hey we all learn in this hobby everyday. I have made wayyy too many mistakes to count. But one great thing on this forum is you can get a wide array of suggestions on treatment and answers to question. HOWEVER, the best path is to take this advice and do research in addition to what is provided on this forum.
    And go slow. Go slow adding your fish, doing any treatments, raising or lowering anything.

You will need to keep your DT empty for at least 6-8 weeks to allow all the parasites to die off. Do not return your fish to the DT, and definately do not add anything else for at least 6 weeks after that to ensure there is no signs of disease.

On a plus note, if your fish survive velvet then they will more then likely be immune to it. Now that you have a qt tank, make sure you put them in it for at least 2-3 weeks to observe to make sure they dont have an illness.

Live and learn;D

10. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

Tanks a lot schackmel, the two products you recommended, do I use them both at the same time in the qt?

11. dirtysven

dirtysven Astrea Snail

Nevermind, I thought the polo fiber was another chemical, will get them both tomorrow

12. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I am just curious what your using to measure your salinity a refractometer or hydrometer? And also how your mixing your salt mix, seems your salinity is very inconsistant.